Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stacked Basma and Prilep

Costard

Hello, everyone.

I'm curious about the two Whole Leaf Tobacco Oriental tobaccos mentioned in the title. If possible, would someone please explain the differences between the Stacked Basma and Prilep tobaccos? I've read that Prilep is a type (a variety) of Basma.

Thank you.

tullius

From my reviews on the WLT website, nothing much has changed: allow a couple days' rest after shredding.

Do check the reviews there, they're valuable.

2018 Stacked Basma Whole Leaf Turkish Tobacco

I get delicate gunpowder green tea and green peppercorn aromas when nosing the leaf. Used in several blends so far and it works great for the oriental component if you don’t overwhelm this tobacco’s delicate flavor. I haven’t smoked this straight yet, but I’m going to. Recommended.

Turkish/Oriental Prilep Tobacco

Lots of raisin, orange, and black pepper notes nosing the leaf, full complex turk flavor here. This is much more full bodied compared to the WLT stacked basma.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Basma is a named tobacco variety, a category of Oriental tobacco leaf (all Basma-type leaves look similar), as well as a traditional form of packing tobacco. So it's a confusing term. The WLT "stacked" Basma is a particularly well selected, well packed, bright yellow leaf.

Packing a traditional basma.

From northwoodseeds.com:

Basma.

Prilep is a city in North Mecedonia, and a center of their tobacco industry. They developed a unique Oriental type (partly derived from a Basma variety) called Prilep 66-9/7, that is more prolific than Basma, and is, I believe, a bit sweeter.

Also from northwoodseeds.com:

Prilep 66-9/7.

There are a number of different Prilep varieties.

My preference as a grower is for Prilep 66-9/7. As far as pipe blending or cigarette blending is concerned, the commercial Basma and Prilep can be used interchangeably. I'm sure other members have their preferences.

Bob

Costard

From my reviews on the WLT website, nothing much has changed: allow a couple days' rest after shredding.

Do check the reviews there, they're valuable.

2018 Stacked Basma Whole Leaf Turkish Tobacco

I get delicate gunpowder green tea and green peppercorn aromas when nosing the leaf. Used in several blends so far and it works great for the oriental component if you don’t overwhelm this tobacco’s delicate flavor. I haven’t smoked this straight yet, but I’m going to. Recommended.

Turkish/Oriental Prilep Tobacco

Lots of raisin, orange, and black pepper notes nosing the leaf, full complex turk flavor here. This is much more full bodied compared to the WLT stacked basma.
Thanks, @tullius. Good idea about keeping up with the reviews at WLT.

Costard

Basma is a named tobacco variety, a category of Oriental tobacco leaf (all Basma-type leaves look similar), as well as a traditional form of packing tobacco. So it's a confusing term. The WLT "stacked" Basma is a particularly well selected, well packed, bright yellow leaf.

Packing a traditional basma.

From northwoodseeds.com:

Basma.

Prilep is a city in North Mecedonia, and a center of their tobacco industry. They developed a unique Oriental type (partly derived from a Basma variety) called Prilep 66-9/7, that is more prolific than Basma, and is, I believe, a bit sweeter.

Also from northwoodseeds.com:

Prilep 66-9/7.

There are a number of different Prilep varieties.

My preference as a grower is for Prilep 66-9/7. As far as pipe blending or cigarette blending is concerned, the commercial Basma and Prilep can be used interchangeably. I'm sure other members have their preferences.

Bob
Thanks, @deluxestogie. I really appreciate the detailed information about the leaves and the attached images.