Whole Leaf Tobacco

stalk curing

Status
Not open for further replies.

grgfinney

can you stalk cure any strain of tobacco? thanks to brown thumb my garage is filled with hanging leaf.thanks to smokestack i have florida sumatra,ytb,and a conn shade leaf growing well, will post a mini grow l og one of these days,i also grew some virginia gold,burley,and bss dont have much growing time left in mi just before the frost comes i plan on digging them up and hanging in garage w/a heater

johnlee1933

Founding Member
That's what I did with some of my plants last year. I had primed some and as the frost got close I cut the remaining tops and hung em stalk and all. They cured more slowly but came out fine. I suspect my sun porch is much like your garage will be. It gets cold out there in the winter but mostly the afternoon sun warms the place in the afternoon. I used no artificial heat and color curing was near finished before it got really cold. The tobacco turned out well.

John

grgfinney

it gets really cold cinder block walls,you know how we tell if its cold outside? throw a cup of water in the air if it hits the ground frozen its cold,but really,an electric oil heater should keep it above freezing at night till late nov

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've cured both ways and do not notice a difference in flavor. As it gets late in the season (like now) I prime because those leaves will cure a heck of a lot quicker than stalks.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I've cured both ways and do not notice a difference in flavor. As it gets late in the season (like now) I prime because those leaves will cure a heck of a lot quicker than stalks.
I agree. These are smaller top leaves that I normally wouldn't bother to harvest. So if I hang the stalks and it goes bad I've lost nothing. If it goes well I'm ahead of the game.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
A benefit to stalk curing is the root sucker goes nuts with that big rootball and even this far north will give me tasty leaf before freeze. Further south will give you a whole extra plant

BarG

Founding Member
Keep a close eye out for mold on hard to cure tops if humidity gets to high to long.

SmokesAhoy, work pulled me away after most of my harvest and I have a plot full of cut stalks covered in suckers that looks like I replanted. Hornworms 3-4" every where and I will probably try to harvest almost none of it as I am full up. I'm sure some of it is worth messing with but time may be a factor.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I leave the biggest shoot and take the rest. If I was harvesting as much as some of you guys I doubt I'd bother. Next year I plan on doing an even hundred so I might not bother. I wasn't going to bother with them this year until I smoked a leaf off one. It looked green in the dim attic but once outside was a nice brown with faint green. It was very tasty whatever the color and half the leaf filled my bowl. This year I want more of it, that's for sure.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Hornworms 3-4" every where and I will probably try to harvest almost none of it as I am full up. I'm sure some of it is worth messing with but time may be a factor.
BerG, Make sure you go out and spray for those hornworms. If you don't, those 1000 worms today will be 100,000 come next summer.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i stalk cured last year...

and i must say, the stalks i hung up,

the leaves turned out better than the leaves i hung up,

but i'd suggest stripping the leaves off the plant when they are a good golden brown, i left my leaves on and got some mildew issues,

Brown Thumb

I will take 6 hornworms. How much is shipping.
You take paypal?
Thank You, Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.