Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Starting Seed Late

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

They look ok to me. Tobacco is incredibly small at first and it takes a long time to get any real size to it. It's like starting with a penny and doubling it every day. It takes a few weeks to become rich. :) I would keep them out of direct sun for another week or two. Dappled sunlight under a shade tree is good. The sun can cook a tiny seedling in no time if it were to dry out too much. Keep them moist, but don't over water. More people kill seedlings by drowning than any other way.

janetta007

They have grown a little more after 10 days but not fast enough. The roots look like they are not getting deeper. Maybe cause of the soil I used. Will use the seed starting mix next spring.:( It looks like a no harvest for me.DSCF0983.jpgDSCF0984.jpgDSCF0985.jpg

jekylnz

They will probably flower pretty short (1ft-2ft) I had a couple of late ones last season and they stayed about 2 ft high right through winter. And are only growing taller now..stil no tops? ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Seedlings do start alot slower than you think they should. Keep them going for the experience. It usually takes about eight weeks before they are ready for transplant, with most of the growth occuring later in that period.

workhorse_01

If those are the big gem plants, they start very slow, but once they start their growth spurt hold on to your butt! The seed was harvested from 8' tall plants. In Texas you might have enough season for them to get pretty big. Don't count them out until you see frost on the ground.

DGBAMA

Looks like they are about doubling in size each week, you are doing fine. It seemed painfully slow to me as well when I was seeing the guys here planting as mine were about that size, but once they get going........:)

In a couple weeks the big ones will be bigger than the cell they are planted in.

janetta007

If those are the big gem plants, they start very slow, but once they start their growth spurt hold on to your butt! The seed was harvested from 8' tall plants. In Texas you might have enough season for them to get pretty big. Don't count them out until you see frost on the ground.
Very impressive workhorse, yes those are the Big Gem you sent me:). And some other I threw in there, will have to wait and see later on what they are though.

workhorse_01

The weather is changing, but we should heat back up a few more times. If I were you my end result for this year would be a 5gal bucket grow. That way you could move them indoors on frosty nights. I would get very acquainted with Fisherman's grow blog. That joker can grow baccy in a bucket.
Very impressive workhorse, yes those are the Big Gem you sent me:). And some other I threw in there, will have to wait and see later on what they are though.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
If You go to Home Depo You can pick up a misting kit cheap. They are used to cool the yard when it's hot. You can add as many ports as You want. They hook to the water hose. I us them even to water adult plants when it is time to water. It however is a seasonal item. Wally world has single stem ones as well.

janetta007

Well I have been gone for 10 days setting deer feeders and cameras. And I thought for sure the seedlings would have dried up and died but my old pops watered them while I was gone. Will load pictures after I transplant them.

DGBAMA

Maybe put them in buckets so they can be moved inside or out depending on weather. They look healthy.

Brown Thumb

Looking Good, Better Late than Never, Pratice makes perfect unless you are growing Baccy.
BT

Status
Not open for further replies.