Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
smokesahoy said:
icon_avatar.gif

April 28, 2011 11:14 PM
I was growing a plant supposed to be very high in sucroester because i thought it was a sought after trait, but then i ran across a patent for some prep to remove the sucrose from leaf. why would they want to? is lower sucrose better somehow? i figured high natural sugars for a sweeter smoke.

Vegaman72 said:
icon_avatar.gif

April 29, 2011 8:02 AM
This is my understanding of Sucroester: It is a form of sugar that is in the leaf. When it burns it lowers the pH of the leaf. This is a good thing if you smoke cigarettes. Cigarettes have a lower pH than do cigars. With a high pH there is more free nicotine available. That is why cigars do not have to be inhaled to absorb the nicotine. It is also why almost all cigar leaf is low in sucroesters. The high pH comes with a tradeoff though because it is what causes what is known as "impact", which is also called tongue bite etc. The lower the pH, the smoother the smoke but the more bound the nic is, so it needs to be inhaled so that it can be absorbed. Going back to the sucorester, as you smoke it, it decreases the pH so this gives you a more mellow smoke not neccesarily a sweeter smoke. I have noticed that there is a heck of alot of research being done by big tobacco on sucoresters and it confuses me because some companies appear to be trying to eliminate it while others seem to be trying to increase it. I suppose from a manufacturing standpoint it makes more sense to grow low sucoresters because in the end they can add precise amounts of any type of sugar they want, giving them more control over the final product. With all that said, I have several kinds of Oriental leaf I'm growing this year with both high sucroester and zero sucroester. I'm interested in trying different combos for my cigars.

smokesahoy said:
icon_avatar.gif

April 29, 2011 10:05 AM
yeah i will find out. this year i am going craziest with my ecuadorian strain that is about double the sucrose content than the nic content. (which are both high) so if the sucrose keeps it from being too strong but having the desireable characteristics of the sugar content they may be nice.

i'm also growing a lot of the named varieties so if this one turns out to be compost i will still have lots of cigar rolling material.

rustycase said:
icon_avatar.gif

May 1, 2011 6:40 PM
Some sort of 'wash' or 'sauce' is valuable for most baccy, unless you are set on finding the perfect strain and nurturing it through the cure process to be precisely what you desire to have... and then it will be a crapshoot!
...but that's just my two cents, which is mostly zinc now, anyways!
Best
rcI am a pathological liar and functional illiterate

Status
Not open for further replies.