Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sumatra binder

Ginsinjones

Good day
I ended up ordering some cigar leaves from WLT.
Ended up ordering a Seco, a viso, a ligero and Sumatra binder.
My hopes were that I could use it as a binder and wrapper. Going through posts on here about Sumatra binder I found some posts about the lower quality recently.
Can anyone here who received some of this leaf recently attest to its quality for use as wrapper?
I went off the reviews on WLT and was stoked that I could use it for both binder and wrapper. Now a little worried that I didn't order wrapper leaf

MarcL

Ask any question. there are no dumb questions just dumb answers. Bobs answer was a good answer. I would say yes and, it can be delicate to work and you should find it has a good stretch but will dry fast due to its thin. ... look to having your own abilities to find any positioning no matter the given designation.

Biglizard1

I have to agree with Bob and Marcl on this one. I've received some of the Sumatra and it is a bit thin. But I received a binder graded lot and I went through and made over half into a wrapper grade selection.
Each bundle of tobacco has all sorts of leaf qualities. I think you will enjoy the travels with the recent selection you listed.
Enjoy each tobacco as they come and you will find the hardest or most difficult part of any tobacco truly, is to await its arrival.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
At the turn of the 20th century in the US, imported Sumatra cigar wrapper was displacing domestic wrappers in the cigar industry. US cigar makers wanted the thinnest possible wrapper leaf for several reasons:
  1. leaf is sold by the pound
  2. import duties are paid by the pound
  3. thin wrappers look nicer on a cigar
  4. thin wrapper will burn more easily than thick wrappers
The American response was to develop Connecticut Shade leaf specifically to compete with Sumatra.

Thicker wrapper is easier for a novice to use in learning cigar rolling. Once a new roller has educated his or her fingertips about judging the tensile strength of the wrapper at hand, then thinner wrappers simply become part of the repertory. And...since you utilize wrappers by the leaf count, rather than the fill weight, thinner wrappers cost you less per stick.

Bob

Biglizard1

Thank you Bob, I needed that history lesson to reinforce some of my growth in cigars. You truly are are a historian and well versed.
You have probably forgotten more than I even know yet.

The Connecticut wrapper is a nice wrapper. I may get brave enough to bring it to the table again. My rolling abilities were a bit brash the first time I trimmed and tried to wrap a few of my early cigars.

Ginsinjones

Well I got my order in today. I havnt got too deep into my bag of binder yet.
I picked out a few leaves and they are pretty rough so far. I picked out 2 good half leaves and they are in a bag with a few spritzes of water.
I did however roll a nice cigar from Nicaragua condega seco, no wrapper just a binder made from a good half of the condega. Man was it smooth and quite flavorful. It burned great
Next will be a puro from the t-13 viso and latter tonight maybe one made from cv criollo 98 ligero.
This is fun and great practice