Whole Leaf Tobacco

Teck 1 (how to remove the flywheel?)

Paraord

Hey guys,

So I ended up scoring a second teck 1 after an incident with the 1st, this one looking considerably newer and in great shape. I was able to get the blades out without too much finagling and got them sharpened and shimmed. So back to the original.

I need to repair the tray due to an incident with my curious 2 year old and a lesson in gravity. I have a buddy who loves doing that kind of thing so I believe the plan is to try to rip down the 2 ends vertically to save the "GERMANY" engraving, and splice/pin in new outer edges for the swing arm plates to screw to. Not really a big deal. I figured while I was at it I would pull the blades proper and sharpen them too (they are gapped really well as is). I just cant get the screws out and just about stripped one which will be a fun project to remove. It will more than likely turn into a full tear down ending with a nice new black paint job for the old workhorse which will be black in order to be the opposite of my other. My question is how on earth do you pull the flywheel?!!? The shaft threads into the flywheel as I see it, but there is no way to hold the shaft, no flat faces for a wrench, pliers will mar the crud out of it. There's got to be a trick that I am clearly not seeing.

Thanks guys
-Andrew

Paraord

Flywheel would be the weighted wheel which the blades are attached to, providing a sustained rotational inertia and speed stabilization. Also they are the two components I am pointing to here

The "screwed" up machine screw

New Teck 1 for a backup.

Paraord

Nothin? Ok Ill shelf the rebuild for a little bit. I might mill 2 flats on the shaft to fit an open end wrench when I get to pulling it all apart.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I just tried using a 14 mm wrench and held the handle with my other hand. I gave the wrench a good turn and...... nothing! Stuck on there big time.
I then used my air impact gun and very gently squeezed the trigger while holding onto the handle of the flywheel real tight. The nut spun off within a 1/2 second.
I did not take the flywheel off but it looks like you could use a rubber mallet and start tapping the backside while occasionally rotating the flywheel.

Paraord

Its not the nut on the outside of the flywheel thats giving me grief, its the flywheel itself which appears to be threaded onto the shaft. I have both nuts off, and I just cant get the threaded shaft to unscrew from the flywheel. Maybe its time to bring out the big guns....aka visegrips. If its not threaded on I would be both surprised and elated. I do have a rubber mallet around here somewhere, and a deadblow likely more at hand.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you happen to own (or can possibly rent) an automotive gear puller? If you can verify that it is threaded onto the shaft, then that wouldn't work, of course. But if it is not threaded, then that could be a solution. Check Walmart.com for "gear puller".

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Just read this as I was leaving for work but I went and checked my shredder real quick. If you put a wrench on the nut at the other side of the shaft and turn the flyheel the nut will come off. Then use a screwdriver and take out the screw that holds the gear onto the shaft. Slide the shaft forward halfway so you can slide the gear off. The entire shaft will then slide out. The flywheel will still be attached but at this point you could easily remove the cutting blades. I'll take another look at the flywheel this evening but it really looks like a press fit to me.

Edit: Gave it another look and you might have to take the 2 nuts off that hold the gear that is perpendicular to the gear that is on the main shaft. These two gears mesh with one another and there doesn't appear to be enough clearance to slide the main gear off of the shaft. I'll definitely play around with it later this week. as it has piqued my interest.

Last edited:

Brown Thumb

Why do you need to disassemble it.
To remove the stripped screw?

did the cutting head / flywheel ever come off? I went to pull mine off last night and no problem getting the nut off, but was going to start using kroil and some heat today to see if i can get mine off - can't tell if it's threaded onto that shaft or not, but i was working in poor light