Whole Leaf Tobacco

Teck 1 worm and worm gear replacement solution

larryccf

was searching for something else and came across a thread here on this forum, that's now 4 years old, but 5 pages, with about half of it devoted to trying to determine the gear teeth depth and angle to replace the worm and "crown" gear on the Teck 1 tobacco shredder.

first, a shot of the worm (mounted on the shaft) and the crown gear mounted on the end of the splined dowel

s-l1600.jpg

there was way too much discussion trying to measure those teeth until one poster finally chimed in that it takes some specialized tools to measure those crown gear teeth.

and you're not going to find a new replacement and having new ones made would be an exorbitant cost.

It's much simpler to just count the number of revolutions on the cutter wheel shaft (with the worm) to generate a complete revolution on the crown gear (splined wooden dowel) - that will give you the ratio, and then go to Mcmaster - Carr ( https://www.mcmaster.com/worm-gears ) and look for the two gears to give you the ratio you want - in this case you won't find a gear set with the same shaft opening you need, but you can either have an insert machined or go on the web and search other companies.

For those that aren't familiar with Mcmaster-Carr, they are to mfgrs, machine shops, fabrication shops etc what sears & Roebuck was to the commercial market back in the 1960s & 70s, a one stop shop.

They carry everything you can think of, stainless steel cloth in whatever grid openings you want, ceramic caulk rated for 3200F, you name and you'll find it there. Whatever nut/bolt you're looking for, in whatever grade steel you need - and if you don't see it, call them, tell them what you want, and one of their CSRs will call their suppliers and call you back with it.

And they offer excaliber svc - they have a ton of warehouses around the country, nearest one to me is in NJ, but if you call the order in by 2:00PM you generally see it delivered within 2 days, UPS Ground - i can't count how many times i've had an item delivered the next day

BUt one caution on McMaster-Carr - they offer great fast svc, availability of anything you can think of but they do not offer discount pricing - their pricing is generally retail ++, but when you are in a bind for something and want it fast, the price is the last thing you're going to worry about, plus factor in the time cost of spending a couple of hours burning your eyes reading a ton of google hits

Frankly, from what i've seen, price wise for worms & worm gears, i'm just going to cannabilise the set out of my Teck 1. - they look nearly brand new and have the ratio worked out for me for what appears to be a 1 to 1.2mm cut feed rate, but i'm into it cheaper than a gear set would cost

Only figured i'd post this in the event anyone else in the WWW searches that topic plus this might give some an idea or two

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
15 years ago, when I was modifying paintball markers, McMaster-Carr was my most dependable resource for tiny pressure fittings and such. It's a big candy store. They've mailed me a catalog a couple of times. They were 6" X 9", and about 4 inches thick, using very thin paper and b&w print. If you don't need anything, never look at their website.

Bob

larryccf

first catalog of theirs i ever received was 3500+ pages - took it home, and over the next 3 or 4 nights would read it until my neck hurt