Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tennessee Red Leaf

TigerTom

I found a packet of Tennessee Red seed I ordered from Seedman some time ago.

His website lists it with "pipe tobacco" varieties, but I'm not sure what type it is.

Is it a Burley? Dark VA? Flue cure?

Anyone out there have experience with this one?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What its "true name" is will likely remain a mystery. [A plague upon all "creative" seed vending houses!] Nearly every tobacco variety name that includes a reference to Tennessee is a burley. BUT...ARS-GRIN shows only 38 accessions (including the obsolete ones) that contain "Tennessee" anywhere in all their data fields. "Tennessee Red" is not among them. [Not a good sign.]

Sustainable Seed Co. (a reliable source, with a high reputation) has an entry for Tennessee Red, indicating that it is out of stock. BUT...its surprisingly brief description of it entirely lacks a characterization of its CLASS. I suspect "copy and paste" from the seed wholesaler's comments. Northwood Seeds (@skychaser ) does not list it.

The good news: You get to be the FTT member who (with the assistance of other members, if needed) assigns an adequate description and CLASS to Tennessee Red--AND that will become the definitive word on the subject. I'll bet a nickel that it's some sort of red burley, as opposed to the paler, "white burleys". I may lose five cents, but if @FmGrowit has never heard of it, I think you can take that to the bank.

Bob

TigerTom

According to this post, Northwood Seeds carries it but it hasn't been put up on the website:

I had a thought that it could be some kind of burley, but thought I'd check the forum since there is a dearth of information on the web.