Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

That classic french taste. Recreating a french Gauloises/ Gitanes blend

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
My understanding sia traditional French style cigarette contains a little bit of cigar tobacco. Our resident tobacco blender has made some very interesting samples using cigar tobaccos in cigarette blends. He'll be in Tuesday and I'll try to remember to ask him what types of tobaccos he has used in these blends.

If you decide to buy from us in the future, please enter your forum name in the special instructions area to receive free stuff.

Okinawan808

My understanding sia traditional French style cigarette contains a little bit of cigar tobacco. Our resident tobacco blender has made some very interesting samples using cigar tobaccos in cigarette blends. He'll be in Tuesday and I'll try to remember to ask him what types of tobaccos he has used in these blends.

If you decide to buy from us in the future, please enter your forum name in the special instructions area to receive free stuff.
Hey thanks for the info, I'd love to hear how those blends turned out. Cheers

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Two French style blends we've created in the past are:

French Perique #1
60% Double Red
20% Stacked Basma
10% Perique
10% Dominican Seco

French Perique Blend #2
55% Double Red
20% Stacked Basma
10% Perique
10% Cutters (1st priming)
10% Dominican Seco

We also played around with a blend of 65% Lemon with casing #1, 30% Prilep and 5% San Vicente Ligero with casing #3, which was also pretty good.

Okinawan808

Two French style blends we've created in the past are:

French Perique #1
60% Double Red
20% Stacked Basma
10% Perique
10% Dominican Seco

French Perique Blend #2
55% Double Red
20% Stacked Basma
10% Perique
10% Cutters (1st priming)
10% Dominican Seco

We also played around with a blend of 65% Lemon with casing #1, 30% Prilep and 5% San Vicente Ligero with casing #3, which was also pretty good.
Ahhh some interesting blends! thank you for sharing. I was thinking about some Turkish Izmir and maybe a maduro leaf but I do like you're addition of Perique. I've come across some French made Gauloises from a friend of mine and they clearly had Latakia in them but the Swiss Export Gauloises just seemed to have dark fired and some Turkish or Oriental leaf in the blend but still a nice cigar note. Cheers

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
10% Perique would not be identifiable in those blends by smelling the tobacco or its smoke. In a pipe blend, 10% Perique would be sufficient to balance the acidity of only about a 17% flue-cured component, so that's not what's happening in Don's blends. Cigarette tobacco is expected to be more acidic. My own blending suggests that such a tiny proportion of Perique in the above blends would likely simply broaden the aroma of the other ingredients, and give the blends a tad more depth.

Bob

nowoyork

i have heard cameroon tobacco was being used in Gauloise back in the days.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
i have heard cameroon tobacco was being used in Gauloise back in the days.
That would not surprise me at all. Cameroon's tobacco growing region was fully controlled by France from after the end of WW 1 (ending Germany's colonial period in Cameroon), until 1960. Unfortunately, the geographic region produces a number of tobacco varieties that are equally called "Cameroon".

Bob