Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Knucklehead way to Grow a Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I do ciphers and gazintas like Jethro Clampett. Two gazinta four twice. Two gazinta six three times...

jekylnz

Hey knucks do you keep the strength tares separate on all varieties or just cigar (seco.ligero.etc.)?? Or not bother at all...?? Some just go by look of color and size..
I kept most in their categories last grow . But not sure if ill do it again this year..may just go by the colour/size

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'll be separating my cigar varieties by variety and leaf position, but my cigarette varieties will only be separated by variety, not leaf position. I want my cigarette blends to come out pretty close to the same everytime.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I primed the Seco from two more cigar varieties, and primed more leaf from three Orientals. I forget which. I also primed a ton of TN90 burley. Literally a ton, 2000 pounds. :rolleyes: Then I bagged about three more plants in the grow out patch. I'm starting to think I might make it. The wrapper patch still sucks. I've bagged three out of the fifteen varieties and two of those were container grown. I moved several of them and I need to carry water to them tomorrow evening in five gal. fuel cans. It's been cloudy the past two days which has slowed down the sun curing. I'll try to remember to get some pictures tomorrow.

AmaxB

I primed the Seco from two more cigar varieties, and primed more leaf from three Orientals. I forget which. I also primed a ton of TN90 burley. Literally a ton, 2000 pounds. :rolleyes: Then I bagged about three more plants in the grow out patch. I'm starting to think I might make it. The wrapper patch still sucks. I've bagged three out of the fifteen varieties and two of those were container grown. I moved several of them and I need to carry water to them tomorrow evening in five gal. fuel cans. It's been cloudy the past two days which has slowed down the sun curing. I'll try to remember to get some pictures tomorrow.
Just got out of bed and I'm tired already

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Heavy rain and high winds. I went for a quick check of the patch when I went down to get the mail. I have about 50 plants blown over at about a 45 degree angle. I'll have plenty of work to do tomorrow, weather permitting. I'm hoping I can set the majority of them up with some tamping at the roots and not have to stake them all. I don't have that many stakes already cut.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If flue cure varieties are yellowed first, then sun cured, will they taste any sweeter than just air cured?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I started sun curing some flue cure varieties about three days ago. I'm hoping for the sweetness of the leaf to be between air curing and flue curing. The method is already proving to be faster than air curing at this time of year in Alabama. Since I have so many varieties and just a few plants of each, I came up with a way to hang primings of different varieties and keep them separate, but still allow for bunching of the leaves. I made large safety pin type gizmos out of some extra clothes hangers the Beast had in the closet. It's working pretty good.

hanger close up.jpg

Detail of the retention method.

detail of hanger.jpg

Leaf yellowing in the shop before being moved to sunshine.

yellowing in shop.jpg

First yellowed leaf moved to sun.

sun curing 1.jpg

The two hangers on the left show the leaf after three days in the sun. The other four hangers were just moved from the shop to the sun. The hangers will overlap, allowing bunching together of the different varieties.

sun curing 2.jpg

ne3go

I think they cure well under the sun.
What if you have to move the car? ;)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Knucks, How did you get such a nice looking bend in your "safety pin type gizmo"? they look real nice!

I used electrician pliars. They're not pretty but they take all of ten seconds to make and they string really nice. They poke right through the toughest stem. They work good for small amounts of several varieties like I'm working with, but there are better options when priming large amounts of the same variety.

Looking nice knucks. I did a bunch of sun cured last year too. some of mine cured up bright but most went to the beige colour. wasn't bad tasting either.

I'm looking forward to comparing them to air cured to see if there is any taste difference. Did you air cure any to compare taste?

rainmax

Founding Member
I was also using hangers this year and I though it was my idea, but probably people using it from earlier. My first flue cured Virginia was on the hangers. It's nice to see sun after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.