Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Smallest Kiln in the World

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well, I think I did it! I built the smallest kiln in the world. Why such a small kiln?.. Why not? Actually I've been longing for some Wolf Brother's Rum Crook's lately and since they went out of business years ago I decided to make my own. I'm trying a technique I read about from a guy that soaks his cigars in rum and then places them in a proofing box at 130F for 3 months. I didn't want to use my gigantic kiln so I made one specific to my needs.

Here is my kiln. It is made out a Nuc box. A Nuc box is a small box used to raising honeybee queens. It is VERY dense polystyrene. The coffee cup gives you an idea of its size. It is 4"x5"x7" which is 140 Cubic inches (355 Cubic Cm).

IMG_0943.JPG
Here is the inside. I placed a piece of stainless steel on the bottom and glued on a small 10 watt heating pad which was then hooked up to my temperature controller. I had to shave off some inside stuff to make the box work for me.

IMG_0948.JPG

Soaking the cigars. This is homemade Rum that a friend gave me. It has a very pleasant molasses smell to it.

IMG_0949.JPG

I put these in a plastic bag but I've never liked the idea of food+heat+ plastic so a few hours later I found a small jar to put the cigars in.
I also made a small shelf for the cigars to set on so they would not be setting on the heating element.

IMG_0946.JPG

So that's about it. I'll probably sample one every 2 weeks. I do find it a little hard to believe that these need to cook for 3 months but we shall see.

My next step is to obtain a Rum Crook cigar mold. There are a few on ebay now but they are way too expensive... I'll wait.

Charly

Nice mini kiln ! Just a question : why don't you simply put the rum soaked cigars in a closed jar in your standard kiln ?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Nice mini kiln ! Just a question : why don't you simply put the rum soaked cigars in a closed jar in your standard kiln ?
Because my standard kiln is something like 63,000 cubic-inches or, if my math is correct.. 160020 cubic-cm.
My mini kiln is 140 cubic inches ( 355 cubic cm)
It is big enough to hold about 15 cigars and with only a 10 watt element it will hardly use any electricity.

Charly

The idea was to put the jar in the kiln while it is already running, not to run the kiln nearly empty :ROFLMAO:
I will follow your experimentation with great interest, because I wanted to try to put some cigars in my kiln to age them more, but I was affraid it might unroll or unwrap the cigars.
I might try to soak them with a drop of rum too.