Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Toasting Conditions In a Mason Jar

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
Thanks for noticing. lol My wife hates it but I like to understand exactly what's going on before I commit to a task. The better prepared, the better the outcome. It makes it easier to know ahead of time instead of chasing your tail trying to figure out how to correct an issue. This is what we expect to happen but if this happens then we do this instead. Ya know?
I dont know anything. I have the same Y chromosome curse that you and all men have. On the good side though is if your wife dont understand you... ask your gf... hehehe

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Scan through our Index of Key Forum Threads for a number of kiln/flue-curing chamber approaches. My kiln is made from 2" XPS foam (extruded polystyrene) insulation board, and functions as a kiln most of the year, and as a flue-cure chamber for 6 weeks of July/August during the growing season--if I'm growing flue-cure varieties that year. It cruises at ~128°F for kilning, and handles up to 165°F peak for flue-curing. The circulation fan must be engineered for a high-humidity environment (e.g. a bathroom exhaust fan). Seams and door seals are important.

Multiple air-cured varieties inside the kiln at the same time do not flavor one another. By contrast, if you kiln anything that has been exposed to smoke, it will impart a smoky character to any other leaves within the kiln.

Bob

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
Good point on the smoke affecting other things in a kiln. Dont know of any common instances where that could be a factor unless you were using a kiln dual purpose as a tobacco kiln and general smoke house. In most cases you would have the leaf in sealed bags or containers to avoid adding moisture to maintain the leaf in proper case to make the system function. In a few instances it would be a factor to think about.
Good point Bob... yer not just another purdy face..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Two seasons ago, I made Latakia. I subsequently sealed it inside a large poly-nylon (i.e. vaporproof) bag, and kilned it along with other leaf. My kiln is on my enclosed back porch. The entire house smelled like a campfire for a couple of months. The accompanying tobacco always had a subtle, smoky aroma. Kilning previously fire-cured tobacco dramatically smooths and softens its harsh aroma and taste (not to mention significantly shortening its required aging prior to use). Commercial Latakia is typically at least a few years old, before you ever lay hands on it.

Bob

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
I wonder if the smoke smell would deter rodents from coming into the house in the fall? In a large shed I'm using or was using as a smoke room, I've had rodents there in the past. Currently has a strong. Smoky smell. Be curious to see. Hate rodents and hantavirus...

Oldfella

I wonder if the smoke smell would deter rodents from coming into the house in the fall? In a large shed I'm using or was using as a smoke room, I've had rodents there in the past. Currently has a strong. Smoky smell. Be curious to see. Hate rodents and hantavirus...
Smoke smell through the house might deter you from coming in the house.
Oldfella

Homegrowngoodnes

You would think they used the hottest peppers on the planet to make our OC spray too but they don't. Oleoresin capsicum is derived from the cayenne pepper.

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
You would think they used the hottest peppers on the planet to make our OC spray too but they don't. Oleoresin capsicum is derived from the cayenne pepper.
Lowest bidder,lawsuits, accidental discharge, appropriate force.
Carolina reaper is reported to have highest scoville rating.
Bhut Jalaka, Ghost Pepper, is darn hot too. I like chili pacia, habanero and serrano but any thing just so its not a vinegar hot sauce.