Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

toasting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So if a tobacco is great after about 10-20% but a bit too strong and bitey at the beginning would a short but intense toast get it to start that way? I tried the normal toasting temps <200 and it didn't really change anything, it was still awesome after starting but too strong at the beginning. Think 2 mins at 450 would work? That is going to be my next experiment at least. I want it to get real hot but be out just before it chars.

I'd test more often but this is.. Robust..:) perfect for a pipe smoker that might do a handful of bowls a day, I'm just thinking of ways to tone the start down so it starts as good as it finishes.

ETA: I don't want to add anything else, pure tobacco is perfect as is. And until I nail down this one process I don't want to add another variety. Think this is viable?

I have another batch about to go in at 450 but it'll need to rest some.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Made it about 3 mins before smoke started pouring out of the oven, I stopped it there and got it outside to cool down. Perfect I guess it's not burned just a slight char starting. I put a few drops of water in a zip lock bag and put the tobacco in there to rest.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Still starts off the same way. Next try will be 250 10 mins. If my logic is correct, and it starts strong but mellows as it smokes that should mean it's toasting in the pipe, so this should be the fix although it might need more than one cycle. Unless the mellowing is a function of the smoke lowering or raising pH then blending with a bright leaf might be needed. Gonna avoid mixing though, this really stands on its own flavor wise once started.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I have a toasting question too. I'm finishing my tobacco in a dehydrator. The tobacco is is colour cured with only a few leaves that have a bit of life in them. the stems on about half of them are dried too with the other half still living/yellowish green. I'm dehydrating them at a temp of 55c (142f) for 2 hours which kills and dries the stem and everthing is extremely bone dry when done. I smell the same smell as when you'd toast coming from it and my wife has nothing good to say about it either. anyway, you guys think this might be mildly toasting? any thoughts on what this might be doing to the flavour of my baccy?

BarG

Founding Member
My question is what are the benefits of toasting, I have never had any toasted properly. Should it be raw cured tobacco or aged tobacco for best results?

Status
Not open for further replies.