Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Toasting Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Banned
I am posting this here as reference. I have found different recommendation for toasting as in time and temp. this is one.
250 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
Please post others that you have found successful.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i toasted on the WARM setting,,, but only for a few minutes, as i didnt want it too crispy,

ive found that a good dry week, is better than toasting, as far as the stage the baccy was in after shredding,,,,,

too fine to work properly in the cigg injector,

Daniel

Banned
Seriously when you start getting the nasty stuff baked out of the tobacco. it comes out of the oven in a very nasty smelling wave. For little fist size batches it is tolerable. But if we go into full toasting production things are going to change. I am thinking of building a solar oven.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have toasted , smoke old , smoked new , tried different varietys and diferent mixes.

I toasted by shredding the tobacco , putting it on a baking sheet , turn oven on lowest setting baked for 30 to 45 min , flip the tobacco over ,then turn up the heat a little for about 30 min then turn it up more to about 320 degrees .
I do not toast my flue cured or turkish .
It smokes the kitchen some but my exhaust fan takes it out somewhat . I toast it until it becomes a dark brown color . Then I spray it with either water or a sauce of mine .Let it set it will case up . Smoking it right after I toast and case it , it doen't taste as good as if I let it set for a few days , it gets better .

Now I just used my aged burley and my Bright Leaf with a little turkish . I coat it with my sauce and smoke it . Aged tobacco is best . I do not toast my flue cured or turkish .

Daniel

Banned
Larry, most of our tobacco is still in a kiln. I am mainly trying to figure out what to do to know any of this is smokable. Even the MCY, YTB mix toasted is not quite what I am looking for. I can mix it with store bought tobacco and probably be just fine but I would rather come up with a recipe that makes a 100% home grown tobacco that we are happy with.
I also want to get as much of an idea of what will really work before we make the final decision on what to grow this year. So far the majority will be MCY and YTB. I have samples setting outside the kiln since last weekend so I need to sample them again and see if they have gotten better.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i did a experiment with WHOLE STALK CURING....and i must say the leaves cured a lot better than the ones i strung up individually,,,

i havent processed them yet,, they are still hanging, but they are definatlly ready,,,, i looked in on them today,,, it was foggy and they were in med case,

BigBonner

Founding Member
Daniel
Have you tried Flue cure at 60 % mixed with your tobacco . I have some flue that I use with no kiln straight mixed with my aged burley and cased with plain water.

Larry, most of our tobacco is still in a kiln. I am mainly trying to figure out what to do to know any of this is smokable. Even the MCY, YTB mix toasted is not quite what I am looking for. I can mix it with store bought tobacco and probably be just fine but I would rather come up with a recipe that makes a 100% home grown tobacco that we are happy with.
I also want to get as much of an idea of what will really work before we make the final decision on what to grow this year. So far the majority will be MCY and YTB. I have samples setting outside the kiln since last weekend so I need to sample them again and see if they have gotten better.

Daniel

Banned
Larry, No I haven't. I have a long way to go in trying almost anything. Mainly looking for some indication of which way to go before I grow 150 lbs of tobacco. I may grow vary YTB heavy this year and then llok for what to add to it in later years to make it more smokable. We mainly primed our tobacco last year which might have been a mistake. I know the stalk cured MCY is much stronger than the primed. Might be leaf location as well. So far we are looking at 500 YTB and 500 MCY as our main crop. All will be stalk cured this year and I would love to flue cure it. coming up with a place big enough to control the temp for that much tobacco is the problem. I am going to run into curing problems no matter what I do.

wazzappenning

i will try toasting, but yeah, the smoke. im wondering if i could rig up a thermostat to the bbq and have good heat control better than smoking out the house.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The few times I've toasted it was at 200-250, no smoke but plenty of noxious fumes that made it hard to breath.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've also noticed that when you toast tobacco, it smells and tastes awful, until after it has rested for a week or two.

Bob

wazzappenning

i got smoke on one, just the leaves in contact with the cookie sheet, i also sprayed half of that with cocoa and sugar (still too moist to smoke).

the best results i had were with the canadian virginia, i put it in only to bring it low case. 5 min at 250 got it a little crispy, but a small spray of water made it smokeable right away. pretty good too. i tried to recreate this but left it in for 10 min, it got a dark toast (no smoke), but not as good as the first batch.

since i had such good results on the canadian, i googled canadian tobacco processing, thinking it must be toasted. i remember my stepfather saying why he didnt like american cigs was cause canadian baccy is baked, american is fried, well i guess he was half right.

anyway i ended up with these results from an unlikely source

seven packs of smokes - cigarettes; Canadian cigarettes are quite different from those sold in the United States--American cigarettes are made of a combination of burley, oriental and Virginia tobaccos blended with flavourings and casings, whereas almost all Canadian cigarettes are made from a single variety of Virginia tobacco grown in Ontario, with additives only added to paper and filter (not the tobacco).

here you might get a chuckle, my sound doesnt work right now but im sure ive heard it before.

http://aetherealforge.com/~aeon/humor/12days.shtml

wazzappenning

also, ive noticed toasting smooths it out, but what do you do to bring out more flavour? i rolled a 40 turk 60 virg, and still couldnt taste the turk.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You Canadians are a wacky bunch. I can say that without being offensive because my Grandfather was born in Nova Scotia. Does that make me a Canadian-American?...don't answer that.

I remember my father always said he didn't like Canadian cigarettes because the tobacco is baked, American tobacco is fried. See, taste is completely subjective.

wazzappenning

hey can-am (fm)... im not sure what you mean here. are you referring to what my stepfather said, or did your father say the same but reversed? i for one cant imagine smoking fried baccy. ive smoked with chicken grease on my fingers, and when even a small amount gets on the paper....eeeeyuk.

btw my familly is can-am too. my grandparents spent part of their lives in montreal and part in buffalo ( think grandpa was american) some of my aunts have dual citizenship. so i guess im french-canerican.

Status
Not open for further replies.