Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco PRODUCT buying age is now 21

docpierce

{cynic alert}
Considering the onslaught of problems inflicted on young people of the west these days, measures like this seem old fashioned and quaint. I suppose leaders feel like they must do something- however ineffectual.
{end of alert}

burge

Who knows society is thinking tobacco is this horrible thing. It's gotten worse with all the additives put in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beren

Paradoxically, many are calling for the voting age to be reduced to 16 because the youth are so mature and responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:

burge

It was 16 in Canada and then they changed it to 18 around 8 years ago. So who knows really what is too young. I know I would not recommend starting if you have never smoked.

ChinaVoodoo

It was 16 in Canada and then they changed it to 18 around 8 years ago. So who knows really what is too young. I know I would not recommend starting if you have never smoked.
More time has passed than you remember, Burge. It was 16 until 1994, and switched to 18 that year. I know this because I was 17 in 1994, and it went from legal to illegal that year.

ChinaVoodoo

Another important distinction is that according to Wikipedia, it's legal to smoke at any age in all provinces except Alberta and Nova Scotia, where the smoking ages are 18 and 19, respectively. In all other provinces, the restriction (18 or 19, depending on province) is limited to "purchasing age".

Last edited:

burge

I now when it came out here people 16 were exempt from the age restriction.