Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco seed for sale

mwaller

The online references I find for "Scantic" describe it as a Fusarium-Wilt resistant broadleaf cigar wrapper. It sounds like a disease-resistant alternative to CT Broadleaf. Thoughts?

skychaser

The online references I find for "Scantic" describe it as a Fusarium-Wilt resistant broadleaf cigar wrapper. It sounds like a disease-resistant alternative to CT Broadleaf. Thoughts?

You are correct. I have it classified wrong. It is a cigar wrapper. And a very impressive and productive plant.

Scantic: Narrative:

A Connecticut broadleaf cigar wrapper tobacco developed with resistance to Fusarium wilt (Fusarium oxysporum). Reduced sensitivity to weather fleck caused by ozone. Agronoic characteristics and cured leaf quality evaluated under both experimental plots and commercial conditions. Over 20% yield increase in comparison to the current wilt-resistant standard, regardless of whether soils were infested with the pathogen or not. Yield increases over the standard wilt-susceptiable cultivar approx. 5% in the absence of disease and dramatically different (up to nearly 100%) in F. oxysporum-infested soil.

Does the Bulgarian Red Izmir mature any faster than Izmir Ozbas? I've read that Izmir can mature a bit late - has that been your experience?

The seed seems to be later maturing than Ozbas, but things vary from season to season so without growing it multiple times it's hard to say. The leaf on both strains seemed to mature about the same rate at about 70 - 80 days from transplant. Ripening is more subtle looking than many other tobaccos with only a slight yellowing at the edges. It air cures or sun cures nicely to a light golden brown.

KiwiGrown

What can you tell us about these 2 varieties ?

DARK:
PYKY 171
VA 355

skychaser

What can you tell us about these 2 varieties ?

DARK:
PYKY 171
VA 355

Both are dark fire cured varieties.

PY KY 171 PI 578865

The PY stands for a "pale yellow" gene that was bred into it to help in determining ripeness and to make it easier to cure than KY 171.

Narrative:
Pale yellow breeding line that is agronomicaly comparable to KY 171. Based on three years of testing, has 17 leaves per plant, plant height of 72 cm, leaf length at midstalk of 83 cm, leaf width at midstalk of 36 cm and a cured-leaf yield of 247 grams per plant. Leaves turn yellow about 4 to 5 weeks after topping, whereas, KY 171 stays green. Nicotine level in percent of dry weight 5.31 compared to 4.70 for KY 171.

KY 171 PI 527338
Narrative:
Plants dark, fire-cured type (22 and 23). Released for its good yield of high quality leaf and disease resistance. Alkaloid content of cured leaf is 5.75%. Cured leaf rated good to excellent with acceptable leaf chemistry. High resistance to TMV, wildfire (Pseudomonas Tabaci) and black root rot (Thielaviopsis basicola). Medium resistance to races R0 and R1 of black shank.

VA 355 PI 604198

I remember Knucklehead saying here once that this was his favorite dark tobacco. It is low growing at only 4-5' in height with good weather and wind resistance and large leaves.

Narrative
Fire-cured tobacco variety. Average yield 2270 kg/ha with an average grade index of 63. About 58 cm tall, produces an average of 12 harvested leaves when topped, flowers about 59 d after transplanting, and has less than one ground sucker per 18 plant plot. Average leaf length and width of both the middle and top leaf 78 and 37 cm, respectively. Average nicotine concentration 5.59%. Based on disease incidence, 61% greater level of resistance to race 0 black shank and more resistant to race 1 black shank than VA 309.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Do you have any Piloto Cubano seeds?

Here it is close to time for me to start seeds and I am still pondering on what to grow this year .

mwaller

Do you have any Piloto Cubano seeds?

Here it is close to time for me to start seeds and I am still pondering on what to grow this year .

I sure hope you do grow Piloto! I would love to see how it turns out when grown domestically by someone who knows what they're doing!

skychaser

It's on my grow list for this year. I start my tobaccos on April 1st. I'm starting peppers now. First batch of tomatoes are next.

skychaser

I have temporarily suspended shipping to over seas destinations and will not be taking any new orders until the current situation improves. I have 7 orders going to 4 different countries that are now over 45 days out. Some are over 60 days. 3 have been reshipped. Nothing I have shipped outside the US since Sept 1st has been delivered. Nothing has been returned to me and no one has received any notices from customs, so I can only speculate what is happening to the orders going outside the US. If you are waiting for a seed order, you can continue to wait and hope it eventually arrives or contact me for a full refund.

skychaser

I am now shipping orders internationally again. Dozens of countries have dropped off the USPS mail suspension list in the past few weeks. https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm. The USPS reported over 3 billion parcels were shipped during the Christmas season. They should be working through the last of them by now. But I would still expect some delays for international mail from the normal expected time delivery times due to all the lock downs. If you decide to place an order, please be patient. I will have your order shipped out within 48 hours, but once it is posted it is out of my control.

skychaser

It's been a while since I posted that list. I need to look through my seed again and see exactly what I have. Some need regrowing. I think everything on it is available except the K 326. I have some seed but it is poor quality and I won't sell any of it until it is regrown. And there are probably a couple I have forgot to mention. Blue Star 100 comes to mind. It's an excellent Burley comparable to TN 90. One of the best.

Odlin

It's been a while since I posted that list. I need to look through my seed again and see exactly what I have. Some need regrowing. I think everything on it is available except the K 326. I have some seed but it is poor quality and I won't sell any of it until it is regrown. And there are probably a couple I have forgot to mention. Blue Star 100 comes to mind. It's an excellent Burley comparable to TN 90. One of the best.
Hello friend

Do you have Xanthy seeds for sale?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
At the Northwood Seeds website, he lists Basma, Xanthy and Yedidje, any of which should give you similar results. They are all Basma-type Orientals. Contact him through the website, to see if they are in stock.

Bob

EDIT: Also...welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. The New Growers' FAQ is linked in the menu bar.

skychaser

I have updated my websites and added over 30 new strains to my seed list in the past few weeks. There are a few new ones of every type of tobacco. All the new ones are highlighted in green. http://www.northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm

There is still time to get these into your grow this year. I ship daily and try to have all my orders out in 24 hours. Ordering and shipping info is at the bottom of the page.

Cheers,
Sky

Anders A

It's been a long time coming, but our new seed site is finally up and running and ready to turn loose on the world.

http://northwoodseeds.com

It is still a work in progress and we are fixing typos, updating prices on a few things and adding more photos. If you find a link that is not working or any other bugs, or just have a question, please post them here in the forum.

If you mention you saw our link in the FTT forum, you will get a 10% discount on your order. :)

Sky

Be sure to check the latest posts in this thread for the most current information.
Now is Skys tobacco seed sprouting on "västgötaslätta" in Vara, Sweden, thanks for good service and fast delivery :)