Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobaccofieldsforever 2021 Grow Log

Tobaccofieldsforever

So I didn't think I would be able to grow anything this year because I didn't have any seed started in a reasonable enough time. Today I was at a farm market near my house and they were selling tobacco plants. I think they had 9 plants total for sale, I bought six (1.99/plant). 3 Virginia Gold and 3 Virginia Bright Leaf. So I guess that's what I'm growing this season. Anybody ever grown these (I assume they are pretty standard tobacco plants) and have any tips or suggestions? I will be limited to air curing this season as well unless I build a flue curing chamber in the meantime.
1622911054275.png
(Those are tomato plants on the top rack)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
So I didn't think I would be able to grow anything this year because I didn't have any seed started in a reasonable enough time. Today I was at a farm market near my house and they were selling tobacco plants. I think they had 9 plants total for sale, I bought six (1.99/plant). 3 Virginia Gold and 3 Virginia Bright Leaf. So I guess that's what I'm growing this season. Anybody ever grown these (I assume they are pretty standard tobacco plants) and have any tips or suggestions? I will be limited to air curing this season as well unless I build a flue curing chamber in the meantime.
View attachment 36606
I grew both and liked them. I’m awful at describing flavors, to me, describing flavors is like describing colors over the telephone. A better description than I could provide will be found on Skychasers seed website:

Oldfella

View attachment 36606
I also grow Virginia gold and like it. It's my main crop, sun cures easy and can be smoked straight away. Aging only improves it. Enjoy. Oldfella

Tobaccofieldsforever

I also grow Virginia gold and like it. It's my main crop, sun cures easy and can be smoked straight away. Aging only improves it. Enjoy. Oldfella
I've heard that about virginia gold. I think I watched a youtube video where a guy was harvesting (priming) some of his leaves and the bottom leaves were ready to smoke as he claimed while the rest of the leaves were still green...interesting.

Oldfella

Update: I will now be growing 13 plants this season. 5 gold, 5 bright, 3 burley. I know it's late getting them in but I'm happy to have something to grow at all:
View attachment 36697
Hi, I don't suppose you know what Burley you have, some of them are OK as soon as they are dried. I have tried Yellow twist bud, Harrow velvet, and Golden Harvest. Not perfect but acceptable. However all tobacco's only get better with curing and aging. Your plants are looking good get them in the ground (or in pots) as soon as possible and I'm sure that they will be fine. Best of luck with them.
Oldfella

Tobaccofieldsforever

Hi, I don't suppose you know what Burley you have, some of them are OK as soon as they are dried. I have tried Yellow twist bud, Harrow velvet, and Golden Harvest. Not perfect but acceptable. However all tobacco's only get better with curing and aging. Your plants are looking good get them in the ground (or in pots) as soon as possible and I'm sure that they will be fine. Best of luck with them.
Oldfella
I wish I knew what kind of burley it was. I was going to ask the worker at the farm market but I know she would have no idea because she had no clue about any of the other questions I had asked her already so I just let it be. I would have to get a hold of the owner of the place who purchased and started the seeds at their other location in the greenhouse. They said they initially started 500 or so seeds and not a single one of them came up AT ALL and that is why the plants are late this year. She said they are probably going to go with a different seed supplier because of that and I am going to recommend Northwood to her. As far as Burley goes, I will most likely use it in small amounts for blends or cavendish a lot of it for use. I will try to find out what kind of burley it is but I suspect it may have only been sold to them as "burley" otherwise they probably would have listed the name as they are very good about that kind of thing. It has been a strange year for them they said. They have had a lot of trouble getting seed that is usually very plentiful (king arthur bell peppers for example). Again, I'm thinking maybe telling her about Northwood for all of her seed needs...HA! I'm waiting for the ground to dry up a little bit before I plant my tobacco. We have had A LOT of rain lately and looks like we may get more in next 5 days or so so I will have to figure something out. Good luck with your crops @Oldfella !

Tobaccofieldsforever

I have had a few days of high winds and rain here. Two of my brightleaf plants had leaves that snapped near the main stalk. The main rib of the leaf is broken near the stalk but the leaf is still connected by lamina and whatever part of the mid rib that is holding on. I removed these leaves completely at the break but now I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't have. I'm posting this because I now noticed the same thing has happened to one of my VA gold plants larger leaves near the bottom. The leaf is just laying in the dirt while the others are positioned upright. I'm debating whether I should remove a leaf that I know will be trash so my plant doesn't waste nutrients and water/energy on it or leave it to help the plant gather light, be a pest decoy etc... What do people think?? Also, my dad said it sounds like I may have a cutworm issue but I spread DE before any of this happened. How often does DE need re-applied?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I usually leave a broken leaf on the plant. It can always be discarded at harvest time. The plant itself regulates the distribution of nutrients, abandoning the lower leaves, as the upper plant grows. That's why we see maturation starting in leaves at the bottom of the stalk.

Bob

Tobaccofieldsforever

I usually leave a broken leaf on the plant. It can always be discarded at harvest time. The plant itself regulates the distribution of nutrients, abandoning the lower leaves, as the upper plant grows. That's why we see maturation starting in leaves at the bottom of the stalk.

Bob
Ah, thank you very much! Good to know!