Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tomato Brown Rugose Fruit Virus [ToBRFV]: a newly emerged virus

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tomato Brown Rugose Fruit Virus [ToBRFV]: a newly emerged virus

This newly emerged virus, Tomato Brown Rugose Fruit Virus, in the same group as Tobacco Mosaic Virus, is appearing on solanaceous crops across the world, including in the US. It was recently found in tomatoes and peppers imported to the US from Mexico.

In tomatoes, it causes rumpled, partly browned, unevenly ripened fruit. I have not seen a description of what signs it produces in Nicotiana tabacum, but tests have demonstrated that tobacco is susceptible to it. ToBRFV does cause leaf mottling and puckering in peppers and tomatoes, so I would assume it causes something similar in tobacco leaves. There are presently no images of this in tobacco on IPM Images.

In potato leaf tomato:
TOBRFV_03.jpg
TOBRFV_02.jpg

General scientific discussion:

"The occurrence of these tobamoviruses that are transmitted through seeds..."
Transmission in tobacco seed, which does not occur with TMV, is uncertain at this time.

So this is yet another tobacco viral disease that requires laboratory testing for accurate diagnosis. The virus persists in soil for months, rather than years. But since it also affects most, if not all, solanaceous plants--including solanaceous weeds, crop rotation away from tobacco, tomato, peppers, potatoes and eggplant (aubergine) would be a wise precaution.

Bob

Last edited:

TigerTom

Interesting.

I've seen similar symptoms in my own plants.

I can see why a lab diagnosis would be necessary. Other viruses sometimes produce similar symptoms.

Leon

Yes, this happened to me here in Mexico. I don't know if it transferred from tobacco to my tomatoes or the other way around, but I noticed it first on my tomato plants. The fact is that I do not know if it is in the soil or in the genetics of the plant, but the tomato plants that I planted with the seeds of the infected plant (before I knew that it was a virus I thought that it was perhaps some lack of nutrients) also developed the virus.