Whole Leaf Tobacco

Topping or not

Muggs

Banned
Im no expert,just some thoughts.
We all trying to remove a lot of the Nicotine in our tobacco. Im thinking
The plants themselves would do most of the work.I think
When a tobacco plant is putting seeds out,its using up all its nitrogen,
Which I think would lessen the Nicotine.when we top the plants,the plant goes mad trying to put out more seeds which I'm thinking cause more Nicotine.i dont know if this works with tobacco plants but watermelon the last week before the melon us ripe you cut the water off which makes the melon sweeter,so wouldn't this work with tobacco the last weeks before its ready cut water off, which think would give a milder smoke
Just my 2 cents.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
By not topping you will get an increase in nicotine but you also get a more flavorful and thicker (think weight) leaf.
As for water, it is thought that one of the things that gives Turkish tobacco it's unique flavor is due to the lack of water as well as the the fact that they are not topped.

Muggs

Banned
Im no expert,just some thoughts.
The plants themselves would do most of the work.I think
When a tobacco plant is putting seeds out,its using up all its nitrogen,
Which I think would lessen the Nicotine.when we top the plants,the plant goes mad trying to put out more seeds which I'm thinking cause more Nicotine.i dont know if this works with tobacco plants but watermelon the last week before the melon us ripe you cut the water off which makes the melon sweeter,so wouldn't this work with tobacco the last weeks before its ready cut water off, which think would give a milder smoke
Just my 2 cents.
Will sounds like,i must offend some in here.wasnt trying to do that.just trying to learn like everyone else in here.
I know I'm new an don't know spit about growing a producing a descent smoke.only form I found that I though i could learn from.
Sorry.
ILL LEAVE YOU Professional alone
S o r r y

Charly

By not topping you will get an increase in nicotine but you also get a more flavorful and thicker (think weight) leaf.
As for water, it is thought that one of the things that gives Turkish tobacco it's unique flavor is due to the lack of water as well as the the fact that they are not topped.
@Jitterbugdude, you meant "By topping", instead of "By not topping" ? Or am I wrong ? :rolleyes:

If you leave your plants alone (without topping them), then you have less nicotine (and smaller and lighter leaves), no ?

Charly

Will sounds like,i must offend some in here.wasnt trying to do that.just trying to learn like everyone else in here.
I know I'm new an don't know spit about growing a producing a descent smoke.only form I found that I though i could learn from.
Sorry.
ILL LEAVE YOU Professional alone
S o r r y
@Muggs : don't take it that way.
The questions you asked might have astonished some of us (when you assume that "all of us are trying to reduce nicotine" for example)
Maybe you should take your time and read as much as you can on the forum, some of your questions have been answered ;)
Begin with the "Home Grower FAQ".

Muggs

Banned
@Muggs : don't take it that way.
The questions you asked might have astonished some of us (when you assume that "all of us are trying to reduce nicotine" for example)
Maybe you should take your time and read as much as you can on the forum, some of your questions have been answered ;)
Begin with the "Home Grower FAQ".
Thank you

Alpine

It is my experience (with Turkish strains) that untopped plants take way longer to ripen than topped ones. Since my grow season is pretty short, I prefer to top everything except the plants I want to keep seeds from. If you like light tobacco (I don’t, but to each his own) try to take a look at www.northwoodseeds.com and read trough the various strains descriptions. Many flue cured strains have very low nic, but taste good.
If you refer to “throat hit” instead, it has little to do with nic content: most N. rusticas are easily inhaled, but can give a strong “buzz”!

pier

skychaser

Nope. Most people seem to want to increase it. If you want a milder low nic tobacco, grow a mild low nic strain. There are lots of them to choose from.

Topping a plant will tend to increase the nicotine. The plant reacts as if it has been eaten by a predator and increase the nicotine level in it's leaves to make itself more toxic. It also stimulates the suckers to grow and flower, so you want to remove those too. Topping and suckering sends more energy to the leaves helping to increase their size and weight, and the nicotine content

Muggs

Banned
Nope. Most people seem to want to increase it. If you want a milder low nic tobacco, grow a mild low nic strain. There are lots of them to choose from.

Topping a plant will tend to increase the nicotine. The plant reacts as if it has been eaten by a predator and increase the nicotine level in it's leaves to make itself more toxic. It also stimulates the suckers to grow and flower, so you want to remove those too. Topping and suckering sends more energy to the leaves helping to increase their size and weight, and the nicotine content
Thank that's what i thought.