Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tried some of my tobacco today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

This was my first year growing so was not sure what to expect. I had been trying some blending and had tried some of the Burly and VG, some were very harsh as to be expected as they had not been kilned or aged. it has not been a few months since they have dried so today I tried a few neat leaves.
The TN90 was very smooth with a good taste I was very impressed as it was quite harsh a few weeks back. The Black Sea Sam was also good but could be left a bit longer. The Ottoman HY don't know what to make of this plant but pretty good.
Will try some of the others tomorrow. So all the hard work I have put in was worth every minute, I wish I had done this ages ago.

Markw

notcrack

I'm glad it's all worked well for you Mark. I will definitely be growing soon. Did you use a greenhouse or was it open air??

Markw

Hi Joe
90% of it was grown outside, the rest was grown in a very large conservatory for seed. There is one good thing growing over here and that is no Bud Worm. lets hope we get better weather next year . It would be interesting to see if they get even bigger.

Mark

Markw

And it'll only improve with age...:)

Hi JBG
Thanks, it's interesting how much better the leaves turns out the longer they take to dry them, and as they slowly turn that nice dark color. I found that the leaves that had color cured and then dried quickly in the sun had a different taste. I think the longer they take to dry the better the taste, well that is what I have found.

Mark

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This coming season will be my first and I'm planning on air aging also. Slowly getting up a stock of Whole Leaf to carry me through. I plan on growing two years worth this first go around, then hopefully will always have aged stuff coming along as I add to it each year. I'm glad your smoke is coming along nicely, congratulations.

Markw

Thanks for the reply ANH, I have just over 5kg of dried leaf that should last me well over a year. I think I have the tobacco growing bug now. Just can't wait to try some other types next year.

Markw

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah there is some special quality to sitting down and smoking your very own. I've tried a bunch and still like mine the most. Must be the flavor of pride:)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
wait, till your blending 7 or more varities,

the bacca process, gets better each time you do it,

in my aresonal i got about 9 varities,

and sometimes making a '' mix'' gets hectic,

Markw

Hi Smokes. Yes nothing gives me more pleasure in smoking my home grown. Ha Chicken yes I have another four more varieties to play with, I am looking forward to sampling the Silver River when it is ready, how do you even plan in mixing 9 different types, anyway iit's all good fun at the end of the day. I am even going to have a bash at rolling cigars.God knows what they will end up looking like

Markw

darren1979

First Time Grower
Sounds like you've had success mark. What did you make your kiln out of? Mine should be ready next week as its starting to loose the hay smell then ill be joining you in sampling my hard work.

Markw

Hi there Darren how are you doing mate. Yes the kiln I have not started it yet, been rushed off my feet, I will have a go over the New Year. I have all of the 4 inch insulation ready. and the thermostats and fans. I am going to use the solar Vacuum Tubes with a 12v fan heater for additional heat back-up, I work in renewable energy so I have loads of stuff laying around, still toying with the filing cabinets. and yes I am like Steptoe and Sons everything recycled or out of skips .

Mark

darren1979

First Time Grower
Yer good thanks Mark, sounds like your keeping busy. Them solar tubes the same things they use for heating the hot water? theres a few people round here with them strapped to there roofs. Sounds like your set up gonna be similar to mine, a box made of 100mm celotex and a 100w light bulb in a weather proof housing and the leaves are in zip lock plastic bags to keep the moisture in. (my box leaks moisture like a sieve). How hot can them tubes get? Id be interested to see some pics of that set up when you get time to make it.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Hi Smokes. Yes nothing gives me more pleasure in smoking my home grown. Ha Chicken yes I have another four more varieties to play with, I am looking forward to sampling the Silver River when it is ready, how do you even plan in mixing 9 different types, anyway iit's all good fun at the end of the day. I am even going to have a bash at rolling cigars.God knows what they will end up looking like.Markw
As I say every time I look in the mirror "Looks aren't everything." As long as it smokes good you're golden. After about 200 cigars mine are starting to look decent and I'm pleased but I've had a looked like a dog stopped by my humidor. -- John

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hi Smokes. Yes nothing gives me more pleasure in smoking my home grown. Ha Chicken yes I have another four more varieties to play with, I am looking forward to sampling the Silver River when it is ready, how do you even plan in mixing 9 different types, anyway iit's all good fun at the end of the day. I am even going to have a bash at rolling cigars.God knows what they will end up looking like

Markw

Mark-- when you get your first cigar rolled post a picture in DIY cigar thread. We'd all like a look-see.

Markw

Hi John Ha Ha I expect my first attempts will end up like that as well, or even worse mire fox turds, as you have correctly said practice helps a lot, I am looking forward to having a go just trying to work out what leaves go where.

Hi Darren that be the solar tubes that you see, they usually have a heat pipe in them, the heat pipes stagnate at 250c but I have taken them out and plan to use the hot air. I want to pump it into a heat store and then pump from the store. into the kiln each tube will generate about 70 watts. I think 10 tubes pumping into the store should be ok.

I will be using Celotex for the kiln, and Corecell M and an additional high temperature insulation for the heat store. Have you tried sticky aluminum tape to stop the moisture loss from your kiln it could help a lot, or if you can get hold of some rubber teff tape( Vac Tape) that is totally airtight and would easily handle the moisture and temperature. you can get it from Marineware in Southampton, or any good boat builder supplies.
Markw

taxedenuf

Hi JBG
Thanks, it's interesting how much better the leaves turns out the longer they take to dry them, and as they slowly turn that nice dark color. I found that the leaves that had color cured and then dried quickly in the sun had a different taste. I think the longer they take to dry the better the taste, well that is what I have found.

Mark

Hi Mark,
Did you try any Silver yet?

If your theory is correct then Silver should be No.1.I had leaves turn totally banana yellow stem and all before browning on the outskirts and love smokin them 1in skirts.:cool:

Markw

Taxed you are my hero I would have not been able to have grown anything this year without your seed. Fantastic plants and they grew well in the UK even with the >>it weather.
Now the Silver is a different kind of plant. I got double the amount from one Silver River than any other plant.

As they were late going in I am still trying to get the leaves dry. i managed to get 8 plants going most in pots and some in the garden.
Hopefully next year they will be my number plant, also the Bursa was a fantastic plant they loved the holiday in the UK

Marj W

Status
Not open for further replies.