Whole Leaf Tobacco

Trying narrow the flavors of cigar tobacco

Jb00

Hey guys, I’ve been rolling cigars from kits for the last few weeks and I plan on buying several pounds of individual leaf as it warms up outside, but I don’t know which ones to get.

do any of you guys have notes on flavors of The different leaves?

such as the Corojo 99 and 98 strains, what separates them from Criollo, condego or piloto?

I apologize if this has already been answered and I’d love if someone could link it. (The search feature hasn’t been as I had hoped)

tullius

Don's description of corojo 99 is pretty accurate. In addition to the wlt description (malty sweetness with notes of cedar, nutmeg and white and black pepper), I also get lots of floral notes, cinnamon and some orange. To my taste, nothing else has the finesse corojo does.

Nic condega has a heavier more robust body and flavor: malty deep milk/dark chocolate, allspice, black pepper, lesser cedar/oak. More subdued and not as floral forward. Excellent tasting though and blends really nice with corojo.

Haven't had criollo, and I don't care for piloto.

Hopefully others will chime in and round things out.

waikikigun

The notes change month to month, IMHO. Leaves that I have marked as epic chocolately perfection in my spreadsheet are also listed as horrible unsmokeable crap at other times in the same spreadsheet.

MarcL

I say get them all.

Not a big flavor note describer I feel myself but, I'll say corojo has more spice, criollo has more sweet, condega has mineral/earth/dirt and piloto is more neutral. Cibao valley stuff has a certain kind of something to it.

That is why I say get them all. At least ease in to it is how I do it.

burge

I would try the different kits first and see what you like. And in doing so ask for samples on leaf to get a better idea of what you like

Nathan Esq

I thought it was $150. It is possible to buy the essential oils in larger quantities and cheaper from places like The Perfume Apprentace, usually about $4 for 15ml bottle.

Nathan Esq

It's a trade off between a tuck cutter, 2 molds, or an aroma kit. I have none of the above.
Cigars taste like cigars to me. Some are rich, some spicy, some creamy, some mild, some more flavorful than others. I was the same way with wine until a sommelier let me use his aroma kit, everything changed after that.
When I first started smoking a pipe a couple months ago I could tastes tons of flavors, now my tastebuds went numb, and I cant taste Latakia anymore.
I guess years of abuse destroyed my taste buds.

tullius

aroma kit
We all already have a huge one, gratis, with way more than 24 aromas. Walk through a park or a farm, smell flowers, grab blades of grass, notice sun warmed blacktop, walk through a diner, wander in the bulk spice and food aisles, check out a lumber yard, look for a new belt, smell and notice and remember. Won't cost a penny, and you can send me a tuck cutter too. ;)