Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Uk seeds

new boy

Hello

Hope everyone is well wondering if anyone can sell me some seed please? I live in the UK can PayPal you for the postage and seeds, or could you suggest online sources?

Have looked below but doesn’t appear to be any recent discussions?

Many thanks

Stuart
I got some Virginia seed from last years crop I’m in uk only grew virginia so no cross pollination I’m in south norfolk near diss

stuart1

I got some Virginia seed from last years crop I’m in uk only grew virginia so no cross pollination I’m in south norfolk near diss

Hello mate, small world I'm near Swaffham! How did you get on growing and curing last year? Have you been growing long? I have thought about getting into it for years, will be first grow this year. Excited to get started!

new boy

Hello mate, small world I'm near Swaffham! How did you get on growing and curing last year? Have you been growing long? I have thought about getting into it for years, will be first grow this year. Excited to get started!
Hi swaffham not far ! Grew my first tobacco last year as I said just Virginia. I put it in a bit late so had to learn some tricks like colour curing in a box so it didn’t dry to quickly and dry green got a decent amount. I’m fermenting it in plastic sealable bags as we speak next a wood burner. I can send you some seeds if you want. I’m going to grow 5-6 different varieties this year. I don’t have many of each seed but they are so small I will have some plugs with plants growing if you want them already started names Gordon

stuart1

uickly and dry green got a decent amount. I’m fermenting it in plastic sealable bags as we speak next a wood burner. I can send you some seeds if you want. I’m going to grow 5-6 different varieties this year. I don’t have many of each seed but they are so small I will have some plugs with plants growing if you want them already started names Gordon

Hello Gordon,

Sounds great, I am only going on growing tomatoes but found a few weeks makes a huge difference in terms of how they grow! How does the colour curing work in the box then, is this where you use the lightbulb for heat and seal it up to remain the humidity? The curing part is where I am thinking it is going to be a bit more complex... perhaps a trade of some plugs then as I have got a selection of seeds from tobaccoseeds and have got about 5 different types - black mammoth, big gem, banana leaf, aztec rustica and african red. Are you growing for RYO? I smoke a pipe occasionally and also interested in cigars.

new boy

Hello Gordon,

Sounds great, I am only going on growing tomatoes but found a few weeks makes a huge difference in terms of how they grow! How does the colour curing work in the box then, is this where you use the lightbulb for heat and seal it up to remain the humidity? The curing part is where I am thinking it is going to be a bit more complex... perhaps a trade of some plugs then as I have got a selection of seeds from tobaccoseeds and have got about 5 different types - black mammoth, big gem, banana leaf, aztec rustica and african red. Are you growing for RYO? I smoke a pipe occasionally and also interested in cigars.
Sounds great I got five different ones from you I got Turkish Samsung, Carterton, Cuban criollo 98, Harrow velvet, habano 2000. All are good for pipe or cigar and I have tonnes of Virginia seed from last year ! Would be great to have a trade on some plug plants

new boy

Sounds great I got five different ones from you I got Turkish Samsung, Carterton, Cuban criollo 98, Harrow velvet, habano 2000. All are good for pipe or cigar and I have tonnes of Virginia seed from last year ! Would be great to have a trade on some plug plants
Yes fermentation! I think I will build a fermenter box for next year so I can be more accurate. I smoke rolling tobacco and pipe also sometimes a cigar. I rolled one out of the tobacco from last year just to see if I could !

stuart1

Ah cool amazing!! Sounds great that’s worked out well then. Be great to follow your grow if you do a grow blog

little ferret

Hi I grew Virginia for the first time last year big learning curve over the last few months. I started too late last year what time of year is best to get the dead’s on the dirt in the uk would you advise. I have a Polly tunnel and a heated propagate ?!
I grow them indoors at this time of year under grow lights as the weather is way to dull and wet.im hoping march weather starts turning much nicer to plant outside which usually means I'm start indoors at least a few weeks earlier.ive never had a problem growing or even getting enough seeds to germinate.i guarantee that someone else has a better way of doing it but I do quite nicely

stuart1

I grow them indoors at this time of year under grow lights as the weather is way to dull and wet.im hoping march weather starts turning much nicer to plant outside which usually means I'm start indoors at least a few weeks earlier.ive never had a problem growing or even getting enough seeds to germinate.i guarantee that someone else has a better way of doing it but I do quite nicely
Hello, I've just sown my seeds today and got them in to half propagator trays on a heat mat - planning to transfer them to a larger heat mat with LED lights when they get going. Have seen people suggest growing them in cells, am thinking about growing in 7cm pots so i can seal them up in bags which will be better on the heat mat as otherwise the cells will dry out too quick. Any thoughts or suggestions on this please? Would be grateful to hear ideas, thank you

skychaser

This is how I do it. http://www.northwoodseeds.com/tips.htm

The page needs a little editing. I usually plant them out at 8 weeks and not 6. You can do them at 6 weeks but they are still a little on the small size.

Picture 1 shows how I start them. It is of the starting and watering trays. Picture 2 is plants at two weeks. Picture 3 shows newly divided plants at about 4-5 weeks. Picture 4 & 5 are plants that are 8 weeks old and ready to go to the field.

This line needs changing too. "Hang the leaves or plants in an area where you can maintain a daily average of 70-80% humidity to cure and dry." This should be to color cure only. To dry them the humidity should be a low as possible.

There are a few strains that are smokable after 3 months of natural aging. But a longer time is usually needed. 6 months is a minimum for most strains. Some need a year or more to be at their best. A kiln will speed up the process greatly but I have never used one. All my tobacco is air cured and left hanging to age in my barn. And I am very happy with the results I get.

Hope this helps a little.
Sky

skychaser

Warmth + excess moisture = mold on the seedlings.

Bob

EDIT: I usually keep the seeded soil mix warm and damp, until the seedlings emerge. Then they need to be able to dry.
Warmth + excess moisture also = dampening off of seedlings. Don't seal them in tight. Keep them moist but let them breath.

stuart1

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice some great tips there. Ive come from growing cacti which is quite a different approach so useful to hear about your experience and what works with the tobacco plants. I'll perhaps try and pick up some cell trays and water trays too for watering and also so they can sit in there on the heat mat rather than drip water onto the electrical mat. Looking forward to following everyone's grows this season, thanks again for the tips and pointers.