Whole Leaf Tobacco

United Kingdom to end sales of whole leaf

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You've got until April 1, 2017 to stock up on whole leaf tobacco before the new law goes into effect. This law will also eliminate sales to most of the European Union because most of the sales to the EU are conducted through the UK.

Please visit

[FONT=&quot]Whole Leaf Tobacco For Sale[/FONT]
http://www.whole-leaf-tobacco.co.uk
[FONT=&quot]Oldtrend Ltd

and stock up now before it is too late.

Here's a link to the new law...
[/FONT]
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-2003-tobacco-duty-the-raw-tobacco-approval-scheme/excise-notice-2003-tobacco-duty-the-raw-tobacco-approval-scheme

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The document is a fairly wordy thing, but it appears that it might equally apply to any individual in the UK who utilizes either purchased or self-grown leaf (of N. tabacum or any other species of Nicotiana) to produce an end product that would otherwise be taxable as a tobacco product. [It even mentions the need for record keeping on the disposal of dead leaves from herbarium specimens. So it seems to also apply to any home-growing of tobacco.]

Bob

Charly

I don't know if individual people who grow from seed for their personnal use are included in this text.
The definition affect people who are doing "controlled activity", and I think it means "activity" related to money (buying, selling, etc.)
Is there any UK lawyer around ? To help us clarify ...

Amazing how those "smart people" do everything to remove all our liberties...

andrew_b

Thanks for the heads up Don. Just placed an order with Paul at WLT UK. Sad but inevitable times..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I don't know if individual people who grow from seed for their personnal use are included in this text.
The definition affect people who are doing "controlled activity", and I think it means "activity" related to money (buying, selling, etc.)
Is there any UK lawyer around ? To help us clarify ...

Amazing how those "smart people" do everything to remove all our liberties...
I guess that this part can answer your question:
"4.1 Manufacturing or selling nasal snuff
If you plan to manufacture nasal snuff, either for personal use or for sale, this is a controlled activity and you

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I guess that this part can answer your question:
"4.1 Manufacturing or selling nasal snuff
If you plan to manufacture nasal snuff, either for personal use or for sale, this is a controlled activity and you
4.1 Manufacturing or selling nasal snuff

If you plan to manufacture nasal snuff, either for personal use or for sale, this is a controlled activity and you need to be approved. You must also be able to satisfy HMRC that you are not manufacturing a tobacco product that is subject to Tobacco Products Duty."

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Sometimes only half of the thing I write comes out, and that is just what happened, sorry for that..

What I also trying to say is that it's sad to see that this thing happens in U.K. I am really sorry about that and think it's just the start of a harder time..
But I am also shore that EU going to open a "back door" for business in and with European countries. Tobacco is a big problem for EU but it's also brings money and money speaks, but... Hum I am shore that this is only the beginning...

And for people in UK said to see this.. I really am..

squeezyjohn

The hardest one to understand is what the status of snus is. It is legal to own and use snus in the UK at the moment, but it is illegal to sell it and has been since 1992. Because it is illegal to sell it, it cannot be a product "subject to Tobacco Products Duty". It can be made at home from a basic nasal snuff (tobacco flour) very easily.

My conclusion on reading the papers is that I would have to register as a producer of nasal snuff for my own use in order to be allowed to make nasal snuff (which I do) from my home grown tobacco. I shall let you know just how difficult this is to do in practice as I attempt it.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
A possible backdoor is something we have been using in the us. It's an old treaty between our countries that says something to the affect of: anything legal to be shipped within one country is legal to be shipped to the other. So you might look in to this clause allowing you to buy directly from Don here in the us. I can't buy snuff from Don due to pact, but I can buy it legally all day long from Roderick of toque in the UK.

Likewise whole leaf possibly. Something to look into I guess.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
The hardest one to understand is what the status of snus is. It is legal to own and use snus in the UK at the moment, but it is illegal to sell it and has been since 1992. Because it is illegal to sell it, it cannot be a product "subject to Tobacco Products Duty". It can be made at home from a basic nasal snuff (tobacco flour) very easily.

My conclusion on reading the papers is that I would have to register as a producer of nasal snuff for my own use in order to be allowed to make nasal snuff (which I do) from my home grown tobacco. I shall let you know just how difficult this is to do in practice as I attempt it.
Squeezyjohn:
"If you plan to manufacture nasal snuff, either for personal use or for sale, this is a controlled activity and you need to be approved."
I think that a no I ain't making nasal-snuff I making Oral-snuff will help you out.. Didn't I told that money speaks? They will for shore let you pay a very nice bill for your "snus" making hobby.. And guess what, I am shore they will come back and take it when it is ready, because they have make new rules again...

squeezyjohn

Not in this case ... because the law makes it clear that any other use of raw tobacco IS a controlled activity. Nasal snuff is exempt from tobacco tax for historical reasons (the politicians and upper classes used it!)

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Not in this case ... because the law makes it clear that any other use of raw tobacco IS a controlled activity. Nasal snuff is exempt from tobacco tax for historical reasons (the politicians and upper classes used it!)
Yes I am pretty sure that you are right. But here they say that even nasal snuff also is "controlled activity" and that's means that you need to be approved.
But it's interesting that they don't have Oral snuff in the text.. But if I was living in UK I would ask before just to be shore.

DistillingJim

Alpine - It appears that growing per-se will remain legal so long as the leaf is on the plant but not when harvested

SqueezyJohn - Will be interested to see what sort of response you get from customs, please keep us updated

Copenhagen Forever

This may be a not so good analogy. Back 10 years ago the state of maine decided that people needed a license to fish in the ocean with a hook and line fishing rod. Everybody was outraged but they passed it thru anyway. The law that was passed was fairly unintrusive stating that if you bought a inland fishing license, you get the privilege to fish saltwater free but a saltwater fishing license will be $1. Everybody thought that this was going to be the new money maker weather we liked it or not. There argument was, they wanted to know how many people were fishing salt water so the could get a handle on this resource but nobody believed that for a second.
At this point, they haven't changed the law like everybody suspected. They haven't added a penny to make more money.
The intrusiveness of the law was when you take your little children down to the pier fishing a few mackerel. You can't handle the fishing rod to help them without a license.

Even though this new law is bad, it might not be that bad. Keep a book and pay some tax. Then again, it might be there new money maker.