Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

US Solar Eclipse 21 Aug 2017 -- How Does Tobacco Behave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I just checked my time lapse Plot Watcher Pro deer camera . I don't know how to post the whole video or I would do it .
Verdict is "HELL YES the Eclipse did effect tobacco" . It show it clearly and right at the time of the eclipse . When I run the Plot watcher I can slide the bar to make the picture show leaf movement real clearly .
Here is two picture I snipped out But the whole video show things way better . It shows leaves lifting up as the eclipse approaches and after the eclipse passes they drop back down .

yosxcXo.png

tAGt1rE.png

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Post it to YouTube Larry!

For me, I thought of my welding hat after our max (which was only like 60%), but we still got to see it a bit. It was fun. My 4yo got to have a magic afternoon and my 2yo got to skip a nap (which ultimately sent him to defcon 1 by the evening) and I got to harvest all of my premium leaf. 3 hours of sleep though so this is the end for me today. Hope everyone brings in some sweet high quality leaf in the days to come.

Edit: is that a picture of 7 foot tall BH?

BigBonner

Founding Member
Tobacco is Corojo 99
The plot watcher pro format is *.JPG and I have tried to put it on Youtube but Youtube says .
We did not recognize the audio format for this file, but we will try to process it anyway. See this article on recommended formats for more information.

It has been downloading for 1.5 hrs now and nothing is happening .
It is hard to tell from the two pictures how much the tobacco raised up and went back down . I have my camera set to take a picture every two seconds . I can left click in the video tool bar and drag it back and forth and you can clearly see when the moon comes and goes .
I may have to send a copy to someone who is better than I am with computers and see what they can do .

burge

I was out in the store doing some shopping came out at full which was 80% for here. It was eerie especially with the sun out full.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's brilliant, Larry! When I looked at the still pictures (yours and mine), I compared the position of each leaf to its neighbors. In the video, we see that all of them raised and lowered together. I'll have to go back through mine--also Corojo 99--and compare leaf position to the far background.

Bob

burge

Sweet that is interesting seeing the leaves go up and down like that.

OldDinosaurWesH

There was an interesting article in tonight's evening newspaper about a side effect of the eclipse. It seems that the unusually high tides cased by the position of the moon caused a salmon farming pen to come loose from its moorings. 30,000 10 pound Atlantic Salmon were unintentionally released into the Puget Sound north of Seattle. The tree-huggers and the fish and wildlife people are going wild. The local Indian tribes are having a field day catching as many as they can. Fish and wildlife is encouraging anyone who can, to get out there and catch these fish, no season, no limits.

Apparently officialdom is worried that the Atlantic salmon might get established around here and out-compete the native fish. This doesn't make any sense to me, as the fish farmers have had escapement before, and there has never been a report of anyone catching an Atlantic Salmon. At least not that I've ever heard of. As big a deal as they make about fish in this part of the world, there would have been mention of it in the press.

Wes H.

I prefer fresh Halibut anyway...Or fresh Albacore Tuna...Mmm.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Fish, one of natures finest vegetables. I've never met one I didn't like.

OldDinosaurWesH

Bob:

Having been a bureaucrat in the state capitol for some ten years I can tell you this much. WDFW is the most political organization under the state government umbrella. WDFW doesn't get any money from the legislature, and are totally funded by fees, fines, and whatever else they can dredge up on the form of $. The bureaucrats at WDFW will do or say just about anything to make a buck. So you can take what they say with a grain of salt. The only other organization within the state government function that is close to as controversial is the Ecology Dept. (Also totally self-funded.)

State employees can transfer between agencies freely, so long as said agency is hiring and the employee can get an offer at the new agency. No one seems to want to take a transfer / promotion to WDFW. I used to work with a person that had worked at several different state agencies over a 25 year career w/ the state. Said person worked at WDFW for about four years & hated it. Couldn't wait to get out of there. Too political.

That's just my experience.

Wes H.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Totality

A partial eclipse, which is what most of us saw, is... "interesting." My son has sent me some photos from just south of Nashville, TN, within the zone of totality. The two photos below were taken only a few minutes apart. Note the bizarre colors during totality. And the eclipse glasses have come off.

Micah20170821_3_lookingUp_400.jpg

Micah20170821_2_totality_400.jpg

How about that!

Bob

EDIT: And being the son of the inventor of the Cozy Can, my very own offspring invented a new version of eclipse glasses.

Micah20170821_5_eclipseGlasses_500.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I see an obvious flaw in the design of the new eclipse glasses.. He used Scotch tape. Everyone knows you are supposed to use Duct Tape for EVERYTHING.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.