Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ways to Prepare Asparagus

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Asparagus and Cheese Personal Ramekins

Garden20190429_4284_AsparagusCheeseRamekin_600.jpg

The ramekin is actually about 2/3 full.

My first harvest of asparagus for the season came to about 18 stalks of various sizes. I rinsed and diced them into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces. These were dumped into my "ramekin recipe" mixing bowl. It's just a small, plastic mixing bowl with "1 cup" and "2 cups" marked on the exterior with a Sharpie (which never washes off).

Garden20190429_4285_smallMixingBowl_600.jpg

I have a set of four 9 ounce ramekins (cheap, from Walmart). The mixing bowl is marked for either 2 of these ramekins ("1 cup") or 4 ("2 cups"). My diced asparagus came to about 1 cup, so I knew I would need to add another cup of stuff to do 4 ramekins.

I cracked in two raw eggs, and enough cottage cheese and shredded cheddar to come close to the "2 cups" mark.

[Hint: eggs and milk or cream and just about any cheese will bake into a cheese souffle. If you separate the egg white from the yolk, and vigorously whip the whites prior to mixing them back with the yolks, they retain tiny bubbles that will then cause the souffle to puff up more. I didn't do that, because I don't care about puffy. The same trick works with an omelette.]

To my bowl of stuff, I added oregano (lots) and garlic powder (lots) and a bit of salt. I turned this and mixed it until it was uniformly blended, then divided it into the 4 ramekins. To each ramekin, I then added enough 2% milk to fill all the gaps in the mixture, and leave a very slight surface of milk on top.

These were placed uncovered into a 350° toaster oven for 90 minutes. Although they were beginning to brown on top at only 60 minutes, I continued another 30 minutes, to thoroughly cook the asparagus.

One 9 ounce remekin makes a generous, individual serving.

The beauty of the marked mixing bowl is that you can add any primary ingredient, then just allow your imagination to fill the bowl to the needed volume with other ingredients, without worrying about a recipe. Then you just season it for "4 servings".

Some other easy ideas for ramekin cooking:
  • Bacon and cheese
  • Potatoes and diced ham
  • Sourkraut and corned beef
  • Mushrooms, broccoli and souffle stuff (eggs, cheese, milk or cream)
Hopefully other members with some other ideas for serving asparagus will further populate this Asparagus recipe thread.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Olive oil
Juice from two lemons
one minced glove of garlic or 6 or 8
salt and pepper

Put it in a ziplock back with peeled asparagus . Toss it around a little. Go fire up some charcoal.
Put asparagus on a screaming hot grill until you get some charring on the asparagus.
Put the asparagus back in the plastic bag and they'll steam and finish cooking.
One of my favorite asparagus recipes.

Little known fact about asparagus is always select the fattest spears you can. It takes 10 seconds to peel the stalk below the bud.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you concerned about possible retribution that might follow, if should you actually eat plants, rest assured that recent studies have demonstrated that a number of species of carnivorous plants are endangered. So they are likely not a threat to you.

Bob

ciennepi

In spring we eat a lot of asparagus, but the white type. They are grown under the soil and harvest when they tips just appear.
We steam they and made a roulade with a slice of "porchetta", a slice of "scamorza" and two asparagus. I don't find a traduction for the two words. Porchetta is a roulade of pork meat with bacon cooked over the fire and smoked, and scamorza is soft cheese smoked.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Blue Ridge Hillbilly Asparagus

This was inspired by ciennepi's untranslatable recipe. My second cutting of asparagus was just skinny stalks, but they worked well. A single stick of mozarella was sliced lengthwise. Four half-strips of bacon were laid in a non-stick baking pan, the asparagus and cheese laid across the middle, then the bacon was wrapped over it. The top (with the overlapping bacon) was turned to the bottom for baking. No seasoning was applied.

I used a toaster oven set at 375°F, and baked for about 30 minutes--until the bacon showing on top appeard well cooked.

Garden20190503_4307_HillbillyAsparagus01_500.jpg

Garden20190503_4308_HillbillyAsparagus02_500.jpg

Garden20190503_4309_HillbillyAsparagus03_500.jpg

Garden20190503_4310_HillbillyAsparagus04_500.jpg

Garden20190503_4312_HillbillyAsparagus05_300.jpg

Garden20190503_4313_HillbillyAsparagus06_500.jpg

Garden20190503_4314_HillbillyAsparagus07_500.jpg

Garden20190503_4316_HillbillyAsparagus08_500.jpg

The exposed ends of the asparagus were delightfully crunchy, and the covered parts were tender and tasty. As you can see, the "string" cheese doesn't really melt.

This is a single serving, with a total of 2 whole strips of bacon. It won't shorten your lifespan by more that a couple of weeks--four at max.

Bob

ciennepi

I'm happy you find my recipe interesting. Better to live 4 weeks less, eating good things, that live 4 weeks more eating crap.
And for you Bob, that will live for 99 years, 4 weaks less is nothing ;)