Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ways to Prepare Asparagus

GreenDragon

Well Bob, you shamed me into trying out your recipe. Of course, being me I had to alter it a wee bit. To reduce oven time, I saute'd the asparagus with some mushrooms and a slice of bacon (because bacon makes everything better!) until slightly softened. Then I added some of the wife's homemade cheeses (blue, butterkaise, and beer cheeses) and the eggs. Into the oven for 40 minutes. It was very good. I think I'll add some red onion to the mix next time. Cheers!

IMG_0208.jpg
Saute

IMG_0207.jpg
Cheeses

IMG_0210.jpg
Scrap patrol and floor cleaner (he loved the raw asparagus)

IMG_0211.jpg
Ready for the oven

IMG_0212.jpg
Yum!

Magpie

So, I was also inspired to eat some crispy green sticks. I started by cubing (3/8"?) half a large sweet potato. It was sauted/ steamed in olive oil, salt, black pepper, and about 1/4 cup of beer. Beer was the beverage in hand, so that's what went it the pan. :)
Once the potato was mostly cooked, I added the asparagus cut into about fourths. I let that cook for about 8-10 min then added half a chopped apple and about a tablespoon of dark honey. After another minute or two, I drizzled around 1/2 a teaspoon of a balsamic reduction.
It was a bit of an experiment, but I enjoyed it very much!
IMG_20190504_201703.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Cold Shrimp Asparagus "Salad"

Prepare this a day prior to serving, and allow it to chill overnight (so that the herb aromas totally permeate the dressing).

the "salad" ingredients:
  • Pre-cooked, peeled shrimp cut to segments, tails off
  • olive-oil-fried asparagus, diced
  • extra-virgin olive oil (for frying)
the "dressing" ingredients:
  • mayo
  • celery, finely diced
  • black walnut, finely chopped
  • capers, diced
  • black olive, finely diced
  • garlic powder
  • salt
  • pepper
  • lime juice
  • chives
  • dill weed
Directions
  • if shrimp are frozen, submerge the sealed bag in a large bowl of water, and hold under with a weight (this may require two or more hours). [That bag of individually frozen shrimp, once thawed, contains about a cup of shrimp-flavored water that will end up on your foot if you don't pay attention when opening the bag.]
  • heat ~1/8" Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a frying pan at medium heat
  • clean and dice asparagus, place into the frying pan
  • fry asparagus in olive oil until crispy brown
  • drain fried asparagus on a paper towel
while the asparagus is cooking
  • mince/dice the dressing ingredients
  • mix well in a bowl
  • when fried asparagus is cooled, add to the dressing bowl and mix
  • cut and clean the shrimp*
  • set aside some pieces of shrimp to add to the top (for display)
  • add shrimp to dressing bowl; mix; top with set-aside shrimp pieces
  • refrigerate well, prior to serving
*If the shrimp has shell on, then remove the shell, and use a sharp knife to slice a narrow groove beneath the "vein" to remove it. (Actually, the so-called vein along the back of a shrimp is its intestinal tract, and the dark color is shrimp poop. It won't affect the taste or safety of cooked shrimp, but removing it improves the appearance of large shrimp.)

All of the proportions of ingredients are entirely arbitrary.

I was preparing this for a family gathering of only 4 of us. But of the 4, 1 is allergic to shrimp. So I separated a portion of the recipe for him, just prior to adding the shrimp to the bowl. (Call it "Crispy Asparagus Salad".)

Bob