Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Weather Fleck or something else?

SlamFire

All, I have significant spotting on a mature Connecticut Broadleaf plant (lower leaves), as well as more minor spotting on two lower leaves of a Pennsylvania Long Red plant... None of my other 30 or so plants of the same varieties are showing these symptoms... Initially I thought perhaps Manganese deficiency, but that would affect many plants, not just two... Thoughts? Please see attached photos - the first three are of the Connecticut, and the last two are of the Long Red. Thanks! 9C893CC5-099E-4EBB-8752-5C0D8373883D.jpegE2CF0209-8C9C-4476-84B0-0684E5D4362D.jpegA88F93D4-4F3B-43F0-ABAB-4864740EA45F.jpeg10B38845-36BC-4AD8-A8B1-6FA2A03FFE88.jpegF2BF0244-A853-4BCF-A69C-E62435CBADC3.jpeg

SlamFire

I may have just answered my own question - this may be phosphorus deficiency as the leaves higher up the plants are nice, healthy, and dark green. Apparently the plant will "steal" phosphorus from older leaves to nourish new grow in situations where the soil doesn't contain enough for its needs...

SlamFire

My impression is that the chlorosis and necrosis is due to an environmental impact: weather fleck, sun scald, chemical spray, foliar spray, etc. Has anything been sprayed in the vicinity? Has it been sprayed in full sun light?

Bob
Hi Bob,

I have sprayed nothing of a chemical nature in my backyard, with the exception of diluted aqueous B. thuringiensis solution, however, these plants are under the edge of a thornless Honey Locust Tree... Perhaps it is dripping something harmful to the plants? An international airport is within 15 miles of my location, and a number of large passenger aircraft fly over my home daily...Perhaps there's a high level of air pollution?

-Jeff

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
No way to know. Check the honey locust for bugs, which might be dripping "honey dew". This might also appear as black mildew on stationary objects below the tree.

If the leaf injury is static, then there is really nothing to do. If it evolves, then post more photos.

Bob