Whole Leaf Tobacco

What Pipe or Pipe Tobacco Did You Smoke Today? [pics]

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Okay things come to those who wait.

This afternoon, I smoked a straight bowl of shredded flyers and lugs from the Perique variety (not Perique process) that I grew in 2010. This bottom leaf was primed and air-cured in 2010. I had kilned it for a scant 10 days, smoked a bit of it, then sentenced it to solitary confinement. By simply waiting a decade, the otherwise rather harsh leaf had the character of smoking a mild Oriental variety that had been sun-cured and then aged a few years. Since it is Perique variety, the nicotine, even in the flyers and lugs, is in the moderate range. But all this time has allowed any truly distinctive aroma to fade away with the harshness. I think all useful aging has run to completion in this leaf.

So, to save yourself the bother of wasting a weekend building a kiln, just set your tobacco aside for a decade.

Bob

LivinInPiperHell

The last couple of weeks we've had much needed rain. Many of the bush fires have been extinguished.
When the rain first came it rained steady for four days straight.
It's 11.15am. Cloudy with a storm threatening. A rather cool 22*C/71.6*F with a forecast top of 27*C/80*F.

My German Shepherd rescue has had his 50 minute run & 10 minute training session & is relaxing at my feet with an ear open for possible infiltrators.

Smoking Peter Stokkebye English Luxury #17 in a BBB Freehand Minerva London Sitter.
BBB Minerva London Sitter.jpg

dubhelix

Took my little BigBen “Ranger” up the mountain today, and burned some cigar scrap. Mostly Red Front wrapper trimmings with some various Dominican bits that were in the stem pile on the rolling table...Piloto Cubano and Rene Seco, I think.
E9C74E00-83CC-4CAE-B8B5-A61F2052E19B.jpeg
Work with whatcha got.

ChinaVoodoo

I'm smoking Japan 8 from last summer.
A friend who isn't in the forum grew it. I box-ripened it, then sun cured it in hands.
DSC_0324_2.JPG

I then left it all in an open box outside on one of my balconies. This is the first taste. It doesn't smell like my old air cured stuff.
DSC_0972~2.JPG

DSC_0976~2.JPG

It's a pretty day.
DSC_0973~2.JPG

Pipe is Lorenzo Spitfire.
DSC_0975~2.JPG

Edit: the tobacco could use some age, but the verdict is that this was a valid means to cure tobacco in an apartment.

Last edited:

Sid.Stavros

"These Things We Do, That Others May Live"

The true story of Vietnam War hero William H. Pitsenbarger, a U.S. Air Force Pararescueman (also known as a PJ) who personally saved over sixty men. During a rescue mission on April 11, 1966, Pitts (as he was called) willingly chose to leave the relative safety of the rescue chopper to aid people on the ground when he saw how bad the situation below was. When others in his team declined to go, he put himself at risk to do more to help his fellow Americans. After saving many already, he was ordered to take the chance to escape on the last helicopter out of a combat zone heavily under fire, but he stayed behind to save and defend the lives of soldiers of the U.S. Army's 1st Infantry Division, before making the ultimate sacrifice in one of the bloodiest battles of the war.

I am smoking Treasures of Ireland Galway while watching The Last Full Measure (2020 film).