Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What seeds for chewing tobacco (beginner level)

Spike_Indiana

I live in Indiana but I’m probably going to do an indoor grow. Wondering what seeds to start with that require simple equipment. Where to source seeds and grow light recommendations. I’m mostly interested in twist tobacco. I’d like something that will make a smooth tasting cigarette or a few plants that are multi-purpose or could be blended for either purpose.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
One of our members owns www.northwoodseeds.com. He goes by the handle Skychaser. Really nice guy.

Most cigarette smoker blends here use virginia flue cure, burley, and oriental. Mine has five, Virginia flue cure, burley, Maryland, dark air, and oriental.
My super secret special blend:
45% Flue cure variety (my home grown Virginia’s are sun cured) (my personal favorites Reams 158, Cherry Red, GL939)
20% Burley (TN 90 or TN 86)
20% Maryland (MD 609)
5% dark air (VA 355)
10% oriental (Prilep P66-9/7 or Izmir Ozbas)

Jbg

All tobacco can be used for all purposes also any tobacco can be cured any way. Some are better cured one way than others.

skychaser

As for where...

I'll let those more knowledgeable than me recommend what.
I know nothing about making chew. So don't ask me! lol I think I'm the one who referred Spike to this forum. Anyway, I sent someone here for info just a few days back who wanted to make chew.

One of our members owns www.northwoodseeds.com. He goes by the handle Skychaser. Really nice guy.
I am not. Stop spreading lies.

Jbg

I'd recommend a virginia, a burley, and a dark air/fire type. With those you could make snus, chew, dip, cigarettes, pipe, and snuff. Pretty much take your pick.

As for varieties...
Virginia (bright leaf, flue cured) I have some Southern Beauty growing but have no idea how it is except it started very well. Really only picked this strain for the name.
Burley- harrow velvet and yellow twist bud have the reputation for being easy to cure out. I have some yellow twist bud started.
Dark air/fire- usally the same plant just cured differently, one sucker, stag horn, and greenwood have been used historically for making chew, cured both ways. I am growing one sucker and small stalk black mammoth this year.

Along with the aforementioned I also have prilep p66 9/7 and sacred cornplanter, all of which need transplanting now.

Spike_Indiana

I know nothing about making chew. So don't ask me! lol I think I'm the one who referred Spike to this forum. Anyway, I sent someone here for info just a few days back who wanted to make chew.

I am not. Stop spreading lies.
Yes sir I spoke with a gentleman over the phone from whole leaf who recommended this forum. Was that you skychaser??? So your the wizard? What is your advice for a beginner looking for some leaves to air cure possibly ferment. I have a garden and I’m familiar with growing just have never grown tobacco. One strain I was looking at was black mammoth.

Spike_Indiana

I'd recommend a virginia, a burley, and a dark air/fire type. With those you could make snus, chew, dip, cigarettes, pipe, and snuff. Pretty much take your pick.

As for varieties...
Virginia (bright leaf, flue cured) I have some Southern Beauty growing but have no idea how it is except it started very well. Really only picked this strain for the name.
Burley- harrow velvet and yellow twist bud have the reputation for being easy to cure out. I have some yellow twist bud started.
Dark air/fire- usally the same plant just cured differently, one sucker, stag horn, and greenwood have been used historically for making chew, cured both ways. I am growing one sucker and small stalk black mammoth this year.

Along with the aforementioned I also have prilep p66 9/7 and sacred cornplanter, all of which need transplanting now.
The mammoth seems like it would be good for chew from the research I have done. But I don’t know and that’s why I’m thankful to be in the presence of greatness! Lol. This gives me some places to start on strain what about lighting best budget full spectrum LED??

billy

ive done a decent bit of research on led's but it depends what size your trying to light. its best to plan what size, get a small roll of mylar to have reflective walls that helps edge brightness and leaning plants quite a bit. and get a led light for that size preferably one with a dimmer and ratchet ropes which makes it makes it very convenient to adjust.

if the only thing your gonna start indoors is 30 tobaccos that pretty much fits in 1 square foot so you might be best off with one of those led grow lights that screws in a lightbulb socket. but you said you have a garden so if your starting bunch of different veggies and tobacco then best would be making a set up. if you click on me and look at my grow blog theres pictures of my starting setup which could give you ideas

Last edited:

Spike_Indiana

ive done a decent bit of research on led's but it depends what size your trying to light. its best to plan what size, get a small roll of mylar to have reflective walls that helps edge brightness and leaning plants quite a bit. and get a led light for that size preferably one with a dimmer and ratchet ropes which makes it makes it very convenient to adjust.

if the only thing your gonna start indoors is 30 tobaccos that pretty much fits in 1 square foot so you might be best off with one of those led grow lights that screws in a lightbulb socket. but you said you have a garden so if your starting bunch of different veggies and tobacco then best would be making a set up. if you click on me and look at my grow blog theres pictures of my starting setup which could give you ideas
I will check that out! I’m thinking about doing the complete grow indoors, it would be much easier to maintain and keep free of pests plus since I’m starting so late I may be able to still get a crop in this year.

billy

you could do full grow inside but im not sure that would be worth it. tobaccos take up alot of space. and lighting for 20 plants would be a serious endeavor. lighting a 10x10 inside a house to half as bright as the sun takes about 2k in lights and a hefty electric bill. other options would be amazon a greenhouse with screen doors and windows for a few hundred bucks if you want protected plants

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Prior to the twentieth century, most tobacco was seeded for germination in a covered, outdoor bed, starting near the last frost date. You need about 4 to 6 weeks minimum for seeds to reach a transplantable size. After transplant, most varieties reach a harvestable state beginning at around 60 days (some as long as 90 days). To obtain seed from those plants takes longer. So if you can just plan on not making seed, you should have sufficient time to grow outdoors. Electric cost = $0. The challenge of a late crop is the temp and humidity of your curing time, which of course ends up being further into the fall. It's a whole lot easier to deal with curing tobacco indoors than completely growing it indoors.

Just my thoughts.

Bob