Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Which rolling method and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk45

Hi everyone! What is your preferred rolling method and why over the others?
If there is a link out there to this question already, let me know. Did a search and nothing came up.
I've seen videos on "Book", "Entubado Bunch" and "Accordion Bunch" method, but not sure which is the best way to go when I get going.
Is one better than the other for a type of cigar, burn or tobacco used?

Thanks,
Hawk

waikikigun

I'm a relative noob but I've rolled a lot of different sorts of sticks with all these methods and got good results with all. It's about having some consciousness of airflow and burnability. My feeling tho is that entubado (which has variations, too, but so what) is a very good standard method to learn and use.

Smokin Harley

you still need a combination of viso, seco and volado for correct flavor, strength and combustibility as well as just a more flavored stick. You can go with a puro too.
I prefer to bunch mine as entubado (just 2 loose fold-overs of each of the filler leaf) but sometimes with scrap to use up I'll roll up a "cuban sandwich ",basically a handful of scrap in the core of an entubado . I just make sure I put the viso or ligero in the center and build out from there as you progress up the plant with the rest.
But this is what works for me... you may find it doesn't work for you , depending on your leaf variety ,your mood (theres days I can't roll and theres days I can sit there for hours and turn out nice sticks one after the other). Its a feeling of what feels right while you roll it vs how it smokes afterwards. As Bob will tell you - roll one ,smoke one. Make your decisions there.

dondford

I use the modified entubdo method per Gdaddy's video but the post raises a question. I have heard of an accordion bunch but do have a firm understanding how this bunch would differ from a normal entubdo bunch. IMHO, the newbie should learn the entubdo method from the beginning because I believe it results in a better cigar and isn't that more difficult to learn.
D

MarcL

This is a standard given to show strength building in brands. Pct75.jpg
The idea, as you can imagine, in having thicker or less combustible leaf in the center surrounded by more combustible leaf is to aid in an even burn. you will see a coned cherry for this reason.

Types of construction, as stated, is to lend to airflow and burn ability. Having a conscious effort of this when bunching is essential.
Having the tobacco booked tightly, tubed and twist, uneven body building or just over stuffing may not flow or burn well enough.
Firmness will come with time. I thought they were spongy because they were under filled but I was wrong.

http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org/curriculum_tobacco_college_rolling3.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za8CwMZ1MSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0zFbixOQHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bzwj0LjbQ

hawk45

Good stuff guys.. I could watch those rolling videos all day.

One question.. when they tear off the top and ends and then put some pieces back in, it looks like they are grabbing for certain leaf when going back for scraps.. would that be the ligero?

buck

I did start off with the book method but could never get a good burn and results were a failure.
Case is important but in my situation it was just not able to get a good roll with that method no matter how much I tried.
I then changed to the Entubado method and never looked back, there are various different variations of it worth a try
The only thing that I find is that I generate lots of scrap using the Entubado way.

MarcL

Back filling can serve 2 purposes to my knowledge. blending and body.
A leafs flavor is different from tip to back so, to get an even flavor profile through the stick, we'll have to try to make it even.
A leaf is just not even in body (size/thickness) from tip to back so, if we're making a parejo (strait) cigar that no equate. if we're making a perfecto, that kinda works out.

Something else you might notice is that a bunchero sometime will take the tips and place them in a specific place to be used in a certain way. like the tuck cut tobacco. they could make a tasty cigarillo or special addition.

Smokin Harley

Good stuff guys.. I could watch those rolling videos all day.

One question.. when they tear off the top and ends and then put some pieces back in, it looks like they are grabbing for certain leaf when going back for scraps.. would that be the ligero?
when you roll a single leaf as the torcedor does in entubado , you naturally get more leaf material in the center than you will in the ends because of the natural shape of a leaf (oval )so once the leaf is rolled as in a bunch , the leaf torn from the end (my guess) goes into the opposite end to build a more even fill. PLUS, that same piece put back in at the head end (mouth piece)will give that portion of the cigar a more firmness or...sturdiness (?) because of the extra handling it gets when you hold it , or pull it away while you're not actively smoking it. If you didn't tear off one end and put it back into the other ,the head end would end up mushy or soft .
To answer the second part of your question ...is it ligero? If its going into the head end I doubt it as that part will never be burned so I would assume that part would be whatever "low end" scrap the roller has on the side to fill the stick evenly or to firmness. If it goes into the foot , maybe so , to add a bit of initial "kick" whether it be strength or aroma .

MarcL

This example of a one handed accordion leaf prepping, for the bunch may be hard to catch. remember, the wheel cog has a speed adjustment. it's at 3min 43sec if the link fails to bring you right to it.

https://youtu.be/_30emTiCWKg?t=3m43s

This example shows an accordion prepared bunch using a estrujado leaf prep. it's at 4min 53sec if the link fails to bring you right to it.

https://youtu.be/za8CwMZ1MSE?t=4m53s

hawk45

More good stuff, you guys rock.

So then let me ask this.. many sticks are considered "boring" if they are the same from foot to tip... so what's going on in the blend to get "transitions"?
I'm all for a full on straight stick if it gives me good flavor, but I know "reviewers" (and I do use those in quotes) tend to give very good blended sticks lower ratings if there are little to no transitions of flavor/body. WTF??(sorry for the explicits but I kind of tired of seeing this). If it's good, it's good, right? Do I need to go on a journey to enjoy flavors? NO! I just ate a $2 chicken burrito with generic hot sauce.. and it tasted GOOD!! Why does the need to over complicate things get in the way of the overall purpose.. to enjoy what you like????

Woo Saaaa' ... Zen

Edit: Christmas Ale really seems to get me on the level. Apparently it raises your IQ by 60 points.

Smokin Harley

Know what you like and who cares what anyone else says . What one person likes you may not and vice versa. My sense of smell is shot because I used to work at a chemical plant so long the acid in the air burnt out my nose ...its just now slowly coming back . I smell and taste things very differently or sometimes not at all so I have to ask my wife when I have a cigar if it smells good .
I'm sure the whole flavor or aroma transition has to do with the composition of the individual leaf plus the combination of several leaves . Think of it as an Italian spice cabinet ....oregano, basil, garlic,rosemary....you may like one ,a few or none or like them all but if its not in a proportion you dont like it wont taste good to YOU. Its a recipe . Its the leaf itself. Its what you ate before the cigar (ah , the residuals of dinner pre-smoke) was it salty , spicy, savory,was it what you had to drink -wine, beer , whiskey...you get what I'm saying ? Drink water when you try a new blend so theres little to none outside flavor enhancers.
Find out what you like and as you roll , progressively you'll know YOUR blend .From time to time I'll roll something completely out of the box blend wise . Sometimes its a nice change and sometimes its a complete dud. Try stuff. Roll one ,smoke one. Roll two and record what you rolled, smoke one right away and put the other one away for a month or two...or 6. Try that one again, it'll change .

Smokin Harley

That young lady in this video cuts her cap by hand with her chaveta ... instead of a tubing fitting. But her cigars are beautifully done. I wish it had a translator because by her body motions and I could understand only a few words , I could tell she was explaining everything she was doing in detail.

charlie G.

I have reverted to the entubato method. Just cause I get good results, it's simple, and fast. I've tried most of them all.

TravisNTexas

This example of a one handed accordion leaf prepping, for the bunch may be hard to catch. remember, the wheel cog has a speed adjustment. it's at 3min 43sec if the link fails to bring you right to it.

She is so fast doing the one hand accordion that even when she slows up to demonstrate it is very hard to see what she is doing!! That's pretty amazing.

MarcL

If your español is needing some improvement, there is a translator in closed captions inside the cog wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.