Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Which tobacco do you regret growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Someone mentioned in another thread that one of their first years, they grew some varieties they regretted wasting garden space with. Which tobaccos do you think are so bad that they should never be grown, and which would you grow, but only in small quantities?

Ben Brand

For me, simple, I grew some cigarette varieties in my first year, since I don't smoke cigs I wasted space. I had some scraps left over and rolled a few cigars from the cigarette tobacco, didn't like them, gave them all to my buddy!

DGBAMA

I had two huge "under performers" last year.... One sucker and sacred cornplanter. Will not grow again. But I have seen positive results reported for both, which is why I tried them.

The problem with this question is that tobacco seems to be a finicky weed. One size does not fit all. Each of us have unique soil, climate, weather, growing conditions, nutrients, etc. So individual results can vary CONSIDERABLY.

Now having two seasons complete, I have established several varieties that work for me and my growing conditions. Future years will consist of these, plus a few each of new varieties that strike my interest. If one does well it might make the cut to become a regular if not, no big deal.

Damn weeds. I may try your favorite, and it not do worth a damn in my growing conditions. Or I might have one that is good flavor but not productive..... I would not grow it again but if I sent you seed it could be your top producer.

I can label a variety as "bad for me" but I have not grown one yet that I can say is just "bad".

DGBAMA

I grew 32 vars last year; can't say I regret any of them, each was an education, and allowed me to identify a few star performers that I will continue to grow in years to come.

Ben Brand

DGBAMA

I've decided I must grow 5 new cigar varieties each year, just to see, taste them. !0 old ones ( previously planted) and 5 new ones. Hopefully in a few years I will run out of new varieties ( or testicles :eek:) and I will end up with 10 to 12 varieties that I like and continue to plant.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I grew some aztek rustica..that i didnt like....

And i grew some cigar varities that werent big producers..now i know that some plants just aint big producers but have quality leaf,..

I guess it depends what your looking for in a plant if you like it or not..

Smokin Harley

lessons learned in life...if you never try ,you will never fail but also never succeed . Failure can also succeeding in disguise. You learn what not to do . Take for example the degreaser we all know as Formula 409 ...it took 408 failures to get it right. Thats persistence!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Take for example the degreaser we all know as Formula 409 ...it took 408 failures to get it right. Thats persistence!

Makes you wonder how much better Formula 410 would be if they hadn't stopped at 409 ...:rolleyes:

As for tobacco. I've grown over 75 varieties (lost count somewhere along the way) and have only met 2 that I really did not like at all. These were VA309 and Sears Special. Both, IIRC are Dark Air varieties.

Status
Not open for further replies.