Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Whole leaf ring sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

stdly

After reading a ton on this forum and never rolling a cigar I hope to give it a try soon.
Going ahead I would like to know something I wonder what is the smallest ring sizes we can hope to make from whole leaf I notice some of the smaller cigar videos are made with smaller pieces of tobacco
Maybe somewhere around 40*.015625 = .625 X 6.5 or smaller not sure.
Big cigars are great when I have time but I need to have some smaller cigars.
I’m guessing the tobacco leaf thickness, make, size and well I’m not sure what all makes a difference.

I’ll keep reading.

Steve

ChinaVoodoo

After reading a ton on this forum and never rolling a cigar I hope to give it a try soon.
Going ahead I would like to know something I wonder what is the smallest ring sizes we can hope to make from whole leaf I notice some of the smaller cigar videos are made with smaller pieces of tobacco
Maybe somewhere around 40*.015625 = .625 X 6.5 or smaller not sure.
Big cigars are great when I have time but I need to have some smaller cigars.
I’m guessing the tobacco leaf thickness, make, size and well I’m not sure what all makes a difference.

I’ll keep reading.

Steve
I have a 22ga mold. It's difficult to use. My 34ga mold is fairly easy, once you get used to knowing how much to bunch.

I free roll tons of cheroots on the fly at work that are about the same as a toscano (28-ish ga?).

stdly

I have a 22ga mold. It's difficult to use. My 34ga mold is fairly easy, once you get used to knowing how much to bunch.

I free roll tons of cheroots on the fly at work that are about the same as a toscano (28-ish ga?).
Thanks that is exactly what I wanted to know, 34 is .53125 that;s nice size,
Also I can see not wasting anything and rolling a backwoods of my own.

Steve

tullius

The lower the ring gauge and the longer the cigar, the easier it is to roll one with a bad draw. If you're using short filler, it's even easier to plug one up. It's just physics: the science of everything.

That said, I've spent some time now with my 36x6 mold from WLT, and it produces wonderful little cigars with either long or short filler even at full length. Even still once in a while I make a hard sucker and it just goes into the scrap bag to get turned into short filler if skewer reaming can't loosen the draw.

If you're just starting out with a mold it's probably better to cut the mold capacity short and roll four inchers rather than six inchers, at first.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Thanks that is exactly what I wanted to know, 34 is .53125 that;s nice size,
Also I can see not wasting anything and rolling a backwoods of my own.

Steve
That's a very economical way to roll. You don't have to waste hardly anything rolling cheroots similar to backwoods, and you quickly get a really good feel for how tight they need to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.