Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WholeLeafTobacco Maryland 609

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyRYO

These are super nice large, flat, thin leaves, easiest to remove stems, a pleasure to work with. My first impression of this was that it was harsh on my throat, so it got sidelined a long while. Have recently made several batches "toasted" at 250 F for 1 hr (tried less time, harshness did not improve much at all). It is now a new favorite blender. It has a very nice "toasty" taste that I think pairs better with flue cured. Where the Burley overpowers the flue cured, the Maryland compliments it. While suppose to be lowish in nicotine, I think it has more than most. It burns great and adds volumes of smoke to the blend. Does not require any casing or topping imo, easiest to work with in general, a real time and labor saver over the Burley. Sufficiently toasted, fantastic stuff. Will be buying more. :)

jekylnz

These are super nice large, flat, thin leaves, easiest to remove stems, a pleasure to work with. My first impression of this was that it was harsh on my throat, so it got sidelined a long while. Have recently made several batches "toasted" at 250 F for 1 hr (tried less time, harshness did not improve much at all). It is now a new favorite blender. It has a very nice "toasty" taste that I think pairs better with flue cured. Where the Burley overpowers the flue cured, the Maryland compliments it. While suppose to be lowish in nicotine, I think it has more than most. It burns great and adds volumes of smoke to the blend. Does not require any casing or topping imo, easiest to work with in general, a real time and labor saver over the Burley. Sufficiently toasted, fantastic stuff. Will be buying more. :)

Maybe a bit of toasting the Burley will also mellow it enough that it won't overpower the flue types..or Burley percentage is too much? ? It should be your part of the cigarette that gives you the catch hit feeling in your throat. .but not overpower flavour & the other blended variety aspects. .usually m.d doesn't have the same kick. .just the similar Burley dark flavour? ? I.m.o

Funny...I just picked up 10 bales today along with the Piloto Cubano Seco and Viso

Sounds tasty Don..What does the piloto mean?& I assume its from cuba origin?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
What does the piloto mean?& I assume its from cuba origin?

This

tobacconistuniversity.org said:
Piloto Cubano is a popular varietal family used primarily for filler. Originally from Cuba, these plants are used throughout the Dominican Republic and Central America and are famous for their substantial flavor characteristics.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Don, out of curiosity, what's involved in bringing the tobacco into case and breaking down the bale? I would think that would be a pretty involved process to avoid leaf damage. Based on the condition of the leaf I receive, you do one hell of a job.

jekylnz

Don, out of curiosity, what's involved in bringing the tobacco into case and breaking down the bale? I would think that would be a pretty involved process to avoid leaf damage. Based on the condition of the leaf I receive, you do one hell of a job.

A rotating pallet platform with multi jet micro sprayers would be the one..or a steam room and slowly pull it apart. .what ever way he does it would be interesting like you say..it would be a bit of a job. .especially if you still want decent leaf to sell when your finished..

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

As everyone who has had the misfortune in dealing with my competition knows, the condition in which Whole Leaf Tobacco's products are packaged is the difference between premium tobacco and garbage.

It's taken a few years to develop the process I use, so the only advice I can give you publicly is to be patient with the leaf. It will come back.

As everyone who has had the misfortune in dealing with my competition knows, the condition in which Whole Leaf Tobacco's products are packaged is the difference between premium tobacco and garbage.

It's taken a few years to develop the process I use, so the only advice I can give you publicly is to be patient with the leaf. It will come back.

Unfortunately I did have the misfortune of dealing with your competition. I can't even begin to tell you how much better (bad grammer) you package your tobacco. Anything that was ordered in quantity larger than a lb was literally balled up into one bag, I rarely ran into complete leafs and it seemed like more stems than should have been.

Plus your tobacco tastes better too. All I can say is I am glad that I found you store.

holyRYO

Just sampled some of WLT Maryland that I toasted at 300 F for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Even better than the 250 F (same time). Still plenty of nutty like flavor but even smoother. Interesting that after all that heat, it looks, feels, and burns the same... tobacco is amazing.

One of my favorite blends is 2 parts BigBonner Flue Cured and 1 part toasted Maryland (WLT's or BB's, both excellent). The Maryland adds smoke volume/body and the flavors compliment each other so well, rich and smooth at the same time.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm hooked on Maryland 609 in a cigarette blend. My cigarettes have some kick to them but they're smooth as buttah.
40% Flue, 20% burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Izmir.
Sometimes I'll go to 15% Izmir for a 105% blend. lol

holyRYO

2 parts BigBonner Flue Cured and 1 part toasted Maryland (WLT's or BB's, both excellent).

After smoking a half dozen in a row, I could not help it, best way to describe it, like pecan waffles, delicious.

holyRYO

One of my favorite blends is 2 parts BigBonner Flue Cured and 1 part toasted Maryland (WLT's or BB's, both excellent).

Contrary to the popular description, that Maryland is low in nicotine, even after the extensive toasting, it adds a nice vitamin N kick to this blend.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Contrary to the popular description, that Maryland is low in nicotine, even after the extensive toasting, it adds a nice vitamin N kick to this blend.

To me, Maryland is really smooth and does a nice job of offsetting the harshness found in untoasted Burley without making the mixture overly bland. I like the Maryland flavor. It reminds me of 70's Marlboros. In cigarette blends, I find flue cure varieties to be a necessary evil. They are needed there for sure, but too much of it makes for a very bland tasting cigarette. (Except for the red leaf, wow. I love that stuff) I don't do a lot of experimenting in blending so that's probably my biggest problem.

I'll have to give your blend a try. It will be my first toasting experiment. I'll have to think of somebody to blame for the kitchen smell, but I'll come up with somebody. I have a brazillion cousins that could take the fall. lol

EDIT: My Maryland has been in storage for about a year, that could explain why mine seems smooth and you say yours tastes harsh. I have no idea how old it was when I bought it from Don. I think he had some older leaf at one time, so it may actually be two years old.

holyRYO

it adds a nice vitamin N kick to this blend.

To better clarify, not saying the toased Maryland is a N powerhouse, just more than BB's Flue Cured. Rank for least to most N: BB Flue Cured, WLT Flue Cureds and toasted WLT Maryland about the same, and then untoasted WLT Maryland.

I'm hooked on Maryland 609 in a cigarette blend.

Really works well in a cigarette. It does not get the respect it deserves, being phased at by the mfg's and replaced with sheet products, it seems. Read that Maryland growers are loosing the market places and converting over to burley with higher yields.

I like the Maryland flavor.

Me too, mates well with Flue Cured, does not overpower, adds some richness, and burns well.

DonH

To better clarify, not saying the toased Maryland is a N powerhouse, just more than BB's Flue Cured. Rank for least to most N: BB Flue Cured, WLT Flue Cureds and toasted WLT Maryland about the same, and then untoasted WLT Maryland.

Really works well in a cigarette. It does not get the respect it deserves, being phased at by the mfg's and replaced with sheet products, it seems. Read that Maryland growers are loosing the market places and converting over to burley with higher yields.

Me too, mates well with Flue Cured, does not overpower, adds some richness, and burns well.
Yeah, nice rich flavor, and the leaves are beautiful, too. Large and easy to handle.

holyRYO

WLT Maryland blend worthy of special merit:

1 part toasted Maryland (300 F for 120 minutes), 1 part new Red Flue Cured, and 1 part Prince Albert.

I have smoked hundreds of iterations till I stumbling on using the toasted Maryland, there is a special synergy it brings, if you like chocolate cake, you will like this blend. Very smooth, rich, lots of smoke, a new favorite.

Edited: highly recommended for pipe smokers as well, if I could market this, I would.

SAW

5 1/2 years later - this Maryland proves to be among the best in the batch of my first WLT (Whole Leaf Tobacco) sampler. It was a bit too wet and gummed up my shredder at first (so I thought it was crap at first - but nice smelling crap). Now I know to just air our anything that seems a bit too damp to shred until it is ready.

Anyway, last night when I was packing tubes I had some leftover Maryland mixed with a small amount of burley (which I was adding in small amounts to Virginia bright leaf), so instead of chucking it in the excess box, I rolled one up by hand and had it for dessert. It was absolutely perfect, just straight Maryland with a touch of burley. Very satisfying after a meal of the best (by my standards) homemade pizza in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.