Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Why toast tobacco?

gregb

I have read several threads where folks toast their tobacco. What is the purpose and does it alter the tobacco flavor ?

I apply some lemon juice tased casing to reduce harshness to bright and red Va, coffee to Maryland for my cig blend, would you do this prior to or after spraying with casing?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The only toasted variety I have tried is Burley. I think some commercial cigarette manufacturers toasted their Burley. I don’t know if WLT still offers toasted burley but it was nice when I tried it. Here are a couple of discussions. If you don’t find the answers you were looking for, enter toasted burley in the search box. Several threads and posts pulled up. There are recipes here using Hershey’s chocolate syrup and then toasting the burley. Positive reviews although I haven’t personally tried them. If I remember correctly it didn’t taste like a candy bar, it just eliminated some harshness and added a nice flavor that may or may not have actually tasted like chocolate.

edit: I found the syrup recipe:

ChinaVoodoo

I have read several threads where folks toast their tobacco. What is the purpose and does it alter the tobacco flavor ?

I apply some lemon juice tased casing to reduce harshness to bright and red Va, coffee to Maryland for my cig blend, would you do this prior to or after spraying with casing?
I believe, based on certain research, that since ammonia is produced at two different temperatures in heated tobacco, that the reason for toasting is to reach the first/lower point of ammonia production in order to remove it and ultimately produce a more pleasant and less alkaline smoke.

You would case after. You probably want to know what you're dealing with or if casing is even desired before doing it. Also, toasting would affect the casing, no doubt.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Establishment of Proper Toasting Condition on Burley Leaf Tobacco
Chung, H.J.;Kim, Y.O.(KTnG Central Research Institute, Daejeon, Republic of Korea);
The quality of burley leaf tobacco was affected by various toasting conditions. In this study, we determined main factor to influence the quality of burley tobacco on toasting and established proper toasting condition to improve the quality of toasted tobacco. Our results indicated that the main factor to influence the quality of burley tobacco was the amount of treatment and 3rd drying zone temperature. We also found that the proper toasting conditions to improve the quality of toasted tobacco and reduce the smoking irritation were moisture content (34 %), amount of treatment (1,520kg/hr), 1st drying zone temperature (135℃), 2nd zone drying temperature(145℃) and 3rd zone drying temperature (147℃).

I am unable to find the full article.

Bob

Tobaccofieldsforever

So, I've been reading over old threads on FTT and most anything else I can dig up on toasting. The things I have found that offer instructions (time, temperature etc..) seem quite old so I was just wondering if anyone has stumbled upon a particularly successful means of toasting burley or maryland that they would like to share? I also read about "fumes" that were emitted during the toasting process that stunk up ones house. Is this the case when toasting (I have zero experience and just want to know what I'm in for if i do it). The best way to do it seems to be a very involved, 3 phases of heat, remoisturizing, etc...process. So I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone had particular success with DIY level toasting just using an oven and cookie sheet setup, was the juice worth the squeeze and will I need to wear a gas mask? HA!

Ginsinjones

I toasted burley a few times.
My approach wasn't very scientific. I was sort of winging it but it did improve the flavor, seemed to bring out flavors in the tobacco that were not there before.
First time I just sprayed stemmed leaf with distilled water. Let the water absorb so it was in high case. Put the tobacco on wire cooling racks in the oven at 300° F for about half hour. I let the tobacco cool for a while and sprayed it again with enough water so I could handle it. It brought out a nice nutty flavor, I let it rest for a week before trying it.
The second time was the same procedure only I sprayed it with half water half strong black coffee before it went in the oven.
That one was quite nice in the pipe mixed with Virginia.
I never noticed much in the way of fumes, and close to the end of the toasting it smelled quite nice.
Like I said, I'm not sure if I did it right but I liked the outcome.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if I did it right...
There is no right. If you like the result, then that's good. Cooler toasting enables changes that are different from toasting at higher temps that allow the Maillard (toasting) reaction, which creates new aromas. And there are also the assorted variants of Cavendish processing that can be employed.

With the "aroma" vs "stink" debate, I love all the aromas emitted from my kiln and from Cavendish processing. Since I don't fuss with toasting any more, I can't recall its aroma. I love the aroma of tobacco in my curing shed. And it's almost heaven to walk into a tobacco auction warehouse, and take a deep breath.

I am vaguely aware of people who are not as enamored with tobacco aromas as I am.

Bob

Tobaccofieldsforever

I toasted burley a few times.
My approach wasn't very scientific. I was sort of winging it but it did improve the flavor, seemed to bring out flavors in the tobacco that were not there before.
First time I just sprayed stemmed leaf with distilled water. Let the water absorb so it was in high case. Put the tobacco on wire cooling racks in the oven at 300° F for about half hour. I let the tobacco cool for a while and sprayed it again with enough water so I could handle it. It brought out a nice nutty flavor, I let it rest for a week before trying it.
The second time was the same procedure only I sprayed it with half water half strong black coffee before it went in the oven.
That one was quite nice in the pipe mixed with Virginia.
I never noticed much in the way of fumes, and close to the end of the toasting it smelled quite nice.
Like I said, I'm not sure if I did it right but I liked the outcome.
Thank you! If it yielded that outcome, it sounds right to me. And I also love every aroma I have smelled that has been emitted by tobacco so far. I even enjoy the "barnyard / silage " smell given off by drying perique. If that's wrong, I don't want to be right!

Tobaccofieldsforever

Walking inside the WLT warehouse is like a tobacco auction warehouse in microcosm.

Bob
I don't think I've ever been in the actual warehouse where the bails are kept. I've wondered this myself when I go there, but I always pick my orders up in door number 1, which seems like more of an office / order staging / packaging area. However, the first time I was ever there a few people were packaging what looked like perique and the aroma in that part of the building was wonderful. I always deal with either Alicia or the other woman who's name escapes me right now and both of them are incredibly nice and welcoming. I have never met Don in person but have spoke to him on the phone a few times. Anyway, I would love to see the warehouse at some point in time, but there's plenty of time for that to happen because I refuse to believe WLT will ever close it's doors. It certainly better not in my lifetime anyway!!