Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT Pelo d’oro blending ideas

PressuredLeaf

I’ve got some of the new golden hair tobacco from WLT. It’s very nice stuff, but to me it seems tricky to blend. I defiantly didn’t like it with the Nicaraguan tobaccos, and it was “meh” with some corojo. With some piloto viso, it was quite nice.

I’m looking to expand on cigar blends with this tobacco, based on other members experience and opinions. Anyone try this one yet?

PressuredLeaf

Great to know about the CV black combo, I’ll have to give that a shot. I tried another blend that I think was pretty good.

2 Pelo d’oro ligero
2 Pelo d’oro seco
Nic seco double binder
Nic rosado wrapper

It was a nice cigar, definitely better than my first attempts. I found smoking the cigar at a slower rate than I usually do helped keep the cigar flavors nice. Also this one was much drier than my first few attempts, which definitely took the harsh edge off the cigar.
7BE133CA-41EF-4DD9-B821-566AC7FFD1BC.jpeg8E9ABF5D-5336-4075-8067-F1825971C3B6.jpeg37594F9D-F552-4600-9922-84C2165F722C.jpeg96EF4D76-9ECE-4364-881D-40315184309B.jpeg

I’m rolling one with CV black, I’ll let dry a bit and report back.

GreenDragon

Rolled this last week. PdO seco, CV black Ligero, Olor binder and wrapper. Good, the CV black definitely amps it up. The double Olor is a little monotonous. Next attempt will substitute Bezuki for the wrapper and use equal parts CV black and PdO ligeros. Still very tasty as is, just not as subtle as pure PdO seco and Ligero.

C22D11D2-3187-48DC-A42B-75AB672B4C1A.jpeg

PressuredLeaf

Okay, so here we go. I should have let it dry a few more days, but I couldn’t wait!

2 cv Black ligero
2 Pelo d’oro seco
Double Nic seco binder
Nic rosado wrapper

Really pleasant stick. Started off sweet and creamy, and quickly transitioned to a toasty creamy flavor with no pepper. 2nd half was similar flavors but up in intensity. I almost never smoke the final 3rd of cigars because I hate hot smoke, but I couldn’t put this one down. Minus some canoeing (what causes this?), a great stick.

Great combo, if pay money for it.

1FCB2245-08B9-43D9-9F02-8596382824BB.jpeg88644E36-83DB-407E-AD32-983B01C779F0.jpegCA28E862-8FB5-488C-977D-4A90A1EA3643.jpeg

tullius

Nice stick.

Minus some canoeing (what causes this?)

Inconsistent burn rate. Probably air gaps or underfilled filler. Maybe problems with equilibriation time or binder or wrapper. Found when I got better at uniformly and more firmly bunching the dolls and letting them rest, my sticks burned a lot better.

PressuredLeaf

Nice stick.

Inconsistent burn rate. Probably air gaps or underfilled filler. Maybe problems with equilibriation time or binder or wrapper. Found when I got better at uniformly and more firmly bunching the dolls and letting them rest, my sticks burned a lot better.

Thanks, I’m thinking it’s under-filled filler. This is a recent problem for me (I was hoping to get better at rolling as time went on, not worse lol), and seems only to occur during the 1st 3rd of the cigar. I think I need to evaluate my packing skills.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Forgive me if I seem to be forever carping on this subject. Filler should be in low case (noisy but not crumbly). Low case filler can be rolled fairly tightly, without obstructing the draw. A cigar rolled with low case filler needs no drying, because it's not starting out wet. Roll one; smoke one. Forget about appearance and using a mold, until you are happy with the draw of a free-hand-rolled cigar. Roll one; smoke one. If you tuck it into bed for days, you lose much of the learning value. Roll one; smoke one.

Bob

PressuredLeaf

Forgive me if I seem to be forever carping on this subject. Filler should be in low case (noisy but not crumbly). Low case filler can be rolled fairly tightly, without obstructing the draw. A cigar rolled with low case filler needs no drying, because it's not starting out wet. Roll one; smoke one. Forget about appearance and using a mold, until you are happy with the draw of a free-hand-rolled cigar. Roll one; smoke one. If you tuck it into bed for days, you lose much of the learning value. Roll one; smoke one.

Bob

Thanks Bob. No, your advice is very good, no matter how many times you end up having to repeat yourself. In the past, I definitely used filler that was to hydrated. Now days I use low case filler, in case binder, and high case wrapper. I like letting my cigars “dry” so they have a nice firm feeling. Also when the wrapper shrinks down it looks nice. I think it’s my picking skills here that need work. I guess it’s time to put the mold away for a while.

tullius

seems only to occur during the 1st 3rd of the cigar

Well, you know where the problem is, right? Pay attention to the filler in that area of your bunch.

If you want to roll with a mold, you can't just put it away: you have to use it to learn it. Check draw and uniformity of filler right after bunching: immediate feedback on each doll. If it's not right, fix it then. Check them again after they come out of the press. Applying wrapper does not change the draw using a press mold. Wrap and smoke and repeat, making adjustments until you get what you're aiming for. You're doing fine and you'll get it.

PressuredLeaf

Well, you know where the problem is, right? Pay attention to the filler in that area of your bunch.

If you want to roll with a mold, you can't just put it away: you have to use it to learn it. Check draw and uniformity of filler right after bunching: immediate feedback on each doll. If it's not right, fix it then. Check them again after they come out of the press. Applying wrapper does not change the draw using a press mold. Wrap and smoke and repeat, making adjustments until you get what you're aiming for. You're doing fine and you'll get it.

Thanks tullius, good advice. So far, no issues with the draw. I will focus on properly packing, especially the 1st 3rd.