Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wooda's first grow, 2017

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Wow, 60 days after topping... my yellow type rusticas would be color cured, sun dried and naturally kilned on the plant! Pier
Yes that seems to be the best way to handle N.Rustica..-I ain't a fan of N.Rustica but the two variants of N.Rustica that I have like best is "cornplanter" and "Rustica Bolsunov".This summer is the first that I don't growing N.Rustica at all and I most say that I really missing the yellow flowers in my garden..

ArizonaDave

Aphids have infested my Yellow Twist Bud!

Spinosad didn't touch them. Neem oil did nothing. Soapy water made them hiccup a little.
View attachment 21342
Interestingly, the aphids wanted nothing to do with the Olson 68 or the Silver River...
It HAS to be Dawn. Other brands don't seem to kill 'em. I put Garlic juice in my spray. Then they all dive off the leaves and into my pool. Had to get a fine mesh scoop to get them out.

wooda2008

First Fruits!

YTB's had a couple of yellow leaves, so I primed them brushed off the dirt and tied them in a mini hand. Not the best idea with the constant wet weather we're having. Only lost one in the middle to green mold before I spread them out to cure.

Will smoke a small bowl when they're fully color cured.

firstfruits.jpg

wooda2008

Not that I have anything to compare them to, but some of these Olson 68 leaves are getting fricken huge.

olsonleaf.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hasse,
That interesting article just casually mentions F11. Eleven years of work on that! What is more curious is that they estimate "pounds of nicotine per acre". This was a truly industrial project.

Bob

wooda2008

Quick update: the plants have grown much bigger.
All of the Silver River is still putting out leaves.
3 of the YTB plants that were in the near row are lagging far behind and are just now budding.
One of my bags came loose on the leftmost Olson 68 rustica, so I'm dedicating that to testing the smoking recipe mentioned earlier in the thread.

20170714_182521.jpg20170803_174920.jpg

The cornplanter rustica plants are making great progress.
I have 5 that survived in the wife's flower garden despite 20% sun and and about 2 dozen scattered in the veggie garden that are growing strongly.
20170803_174934.jpg

wooda2008

It HAS to be Dawn. Other brands don't seem to kill 'em. I put Garlic juice in my spray. Then they all dive off the leaves and into my pool. Had to get a fine mesh scoop to get them out.
I was able to knock out the aphids by adding another couple drops of soap and garlic to the mix. I spray them in the evening, wait an hour, then hose off the plants so I don't build up too much detergent residue.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Since soapy water kills aphids by dissolving their waxy coating, allowing them to desiccate in the sun, I would suggest spraying in the evening (to avoid scalding the leaves), then rinsing, if you must, the following evening.

Bob

wooda2008

Since soapy water kills aphids by dissolving their waxy coating, allowing them to desiccate in the sun, I would suggest spraying in the evening (to avoid scalding the leaves), then rinsing, if you must, the following evening.

Bob
With all the rain we've had, I haven't felt the need to rinse. Of course, that means not a whole lot of sun to fry the little buggers.
On top of that, I found and crushed 3 of these
worm1.jpg

If it's not one thing, it's another.

Attachments

wooda2008

More evidence of Hornwormnado in Vermont! Yikes!

Bob
You're not kidding. I spend 2 day away from the garden and they decimated a large tomato vine.
Did a detailed inspection of every leaf on the tobacco and tomatoes. Thank god they were only on the one tomato plant, but I pulled off 6 of them.

hornworm.jpg

wooda2008

Another week, another great effort on the part of my cornplanter rusticas.

20170810_200544.jpg

It was finally dry enough to test a mudlug from the YTB!
Picked a leaf, stripped it and rolled a cigarillo on my sweet (not)virgin thigh. It was rolled a bit too tight, and a little too damp, but it smoked just fine after I dried it on the hood of the grill for a couple minutes.
Tasted like tobacco. I really enjoyed it
mudlug.jpg

ETA: I did inhale a couple puffs to see if there was any appreciable nicotine. There wasn't.

wooda2008

Another weekend, another update.
All the plants from BigBonner are bagged or topped. I had a homemade bag on an Olson Rustica plants that burst at a taped seem, compromising at least 100 seed pods. That still leaves me with 3 of the rusticas still good for seed saving.
I'm bagging the first Silver River to flower for next year.
tobypatch.jpg

The local sacred cornplanter is already sending flower stalks. If my luck holds I'll have seeds to send back to the friend who gifted them to me.
cornplanter819.jpg

The first "priming" of the YTBmud lugs is fully color cured and sitting in the 3 season room waiting for enough leaves to do a full kiln load.
cured.jpg

That's it for now. Only another week or so to go until I cut and stalk cure the Olson and start priming the YTB and Silver River.

wooda2008

Primed some of the YTB that was starting to yellow, and brown at the tip. I also stripped my stubby Olson to see how it cures.
20170820_081912.jpg
Cornplanter is looking better and better every day.
20170820_125105.jpg

wooda2008

My Olson is about 5-6' tall now, did yours remain stubby?
I topped them at 4' or shorter when the flower stalk started shooting up.. This stubby one was only 18". The ones that I didn't top are ~5.5' including the seed head.

I tilled in maybe an inch of compost this spring. I'm thinking I need a lot more for next year.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most commercially available compost from the big box stores is a mere 0.05:0.05:0.05 for N:p:K. If you go with Black Kow, it's ten times that analysis--0.5:0.5:0.5. But at $5 per 40# bag, you could easily squander your children's inheritance on enough to maintain the soil fertility. The past two years, I've applied commercial low-chlorine 10:10:10, and been delighted with the results.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

I used alfalfa pellets, 2.5-0.6-2.0. At $16CAD per 50 lb bag. I used 40lbs per 100 square feet. (450-105-360) Beware, though, it attracts bunnies. It's slow release, and you only get about a third of the total nitrogen in the first year. That's why I went with so much. Fall application and pre soaking are recommended. I don't have children, so I don't give two squirts who's inheritance I'm spending.