Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Would this be bad for tobacco?

Patriotguy

I have this on hand for the hot peppers I grow but wondered would it be bas to feed it to my tobacco as well? I know I've seen people talk about a good or bad type of potassium but it's a little confusing for me.
20210329_180458.jpg

ArizonaDave

I have this on hand for the hot peppers I grow but wondered would it be bas to feed it to my tobacco as well? I know I've seen people talk about a good or bad type of potassium but it's a little confusing for me.

You should probably ask some of the other guys here, I usually use tomato fertilizer.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The "good and bad" potassium is about the fact that excessive chloride will reduce the combustibility of the cured leaf. So potassium chloride, muriatic acid and muriate of potassium are best avoided.

Bob

Patriotguy

The "good and bad" potassium is about the fact that excessive chloride will reduce the combustibility of the cured leaf. So potassium chloride, muriatic acid and muriate of potassium are best avoided.

Bob
So this would be alright to feed tobacco without it affecting that then? I don't see any of those things listed I just am ignorant to any terminology or designations that might be hiding some nefarious ingrediants somewhere.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If the bag provides guidance for tomatoes, then you should be able to apply to the garden at the same rate for tobacco. If it does not, then I have no clue. If you intend to grow in any manner other than out in the garden soil, then I have no idea.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have just read through every scrap of information provided by the manufacturer (Monterey) of this specific product. It discusses dilution and frequency of application, but nowhere mentions application rate for specific uses. The only guidance might be the 4000 sq. ft. maximum coverage (for weekly? for monthly? application). If you assume 3.75 square feet per full-size tobacco plant, then you can calculate an application rate (how much of it to apply).

So I would say that it is probably safe (for soil drench, rather than foliar spray) for your tobacco, but unlikely to provide optimal fertilization.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

1140g x 0.09N = 102gN
1140g x 0.06P = 68gP
1140g x 0.02K = 23gK

This entire bottle is in the neighbourhood of the amount of nitrogen and phosphorus that you would need for an entire year in 100 square feet of garden. It is not enough potassium. You would need to find a potassium fertilizer as well.

Edit: that 4000 square feet business has to be for a seasonal lawn supplementation.

SmokingCrow

-Found this table, for NPK, it's a long ol list. Although it's not an easy read and requires some calcs to get whole numbers, it may be a good guide. Not sure about accuracy, but some are really interesting - Tobacco stems are listed as - 2.5 - 0.9 - 7, stalks are 3.7 - 0.65 - 4.5
For next year you could think about make a fermented plant juice (FPJ) with the harvest waste. By adding equal volume of stems/stalks with brown sugar, letting it ferment for a couple of weeks and diluting 1:1000 or 1:500 as a foliar feed or drench. It's probably going to be cheaper than a bottle of anything. (link on how to do it you tube)