Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrapping Over a Machine Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

I read a thread on a cigar forum last summer about wrapper swapping. The guy carefully peels a wrapper off two cigars, then rolls wrapper A onto cigar B and vice versa. Just experimenting with flavors.

I think I've got a better idea. Take a cheap machine made cigar with a decent filler and wrap it in a tasty new leaf. For example, I smoked a Tuscorora Shade Natural on the day this idea occurred to me, a yard gar that I picked up at the FX Smith factory in McSherrystown PA. Splotchy and coarse PA broadleaf machine rolled round a nice mild Dominican chopped filler. The taste is mild wood, hay, mild tobacco. I thought that a nice Brazilian wrapper would jazz it up. Leave the PA broadleaf in place as a binder. These Tuscororas are six inches by 46 gauge, so the wrapper doesn't have to be a large leaf.

Last week, a cigar pass came through my hoands, containing a vial of a hundred Habano seeds. Now, I myself have a black thumb, but I have friends who garden. Yesterday I handed the vial to them to raise some plants. So yesterday I went back to my stash of FX Smith yard gars to evaluate a good candidate for an ober-wrap.. Smoked a Smithdale Shade Breva. Light milk chocolate colored PA wrapper, not so mottled as the other, but still veiny and ugly, This is a real honest clean taste, very clean finish, aromatic, resembles a good conny. Just no beauty and nothing special. 4 1/2 x 46 gauge; but smokes an hour long. This one I'd been aging for six months. I think age really improves it. Perfect slow burn. I think this little gen might be tremendously improved by a flavorful Habano wrapper.

Neither of these cigars would over-power a tasty leaf over-wrap. The yard gar gives you a cheap head start. Construction, burn, filler, draw all guaranteed. A new home grown wrapper douses it with flavor and dresses it up.

So. My question: Who here has experience with a project like this?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Your the first person I heard this from. Honestly, even our worst homegrown is better than cheap cigars. But if this is a way to wade into the pool, it's a step in the right direction.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I am paying less than $0.40/cigar for for a long leaf Havana filler/MD 609 binder/CT shade wrapped cigar, hand rolled. This is with purchased filler and binder. The wrapper is home grown. When the Nicaraguan leaf gets here that will go up about a dime. I don't believe you can buy a cheap machine made for that price. When my home grown gets incorporated the cost will be even less. -·- John

webmost

Your the first person I heard this from. Honestly, even our worst homegrown is better than cheap cigars. But if this is a way to wade into the pool, it's a step in the right direction.

More Money !== More Better, SmokesAhoy. One of my favorite smokes is the Factory Throwout #49 Sungrown, which weighs in at nine bits a stick from my B&M. That's a darn tasty cigar machine rolled in Florida. God seems to have blessed me with a budget palate. Even among hand rolled premiums, my faves are all under five bucks. Right now, the staples in my humidor are the AJ Fresh Rolled which come 20 for $35, the Fonseca Arana which come 20 for $40, and the Alec Bradley SCR which I scored for $60 a box. It's not that I haven't tried expensive sticks. People keep sending me cigars which cost ten bucks and up. I have yet to find one I like.

Nope. As long as it's all leaf and not paper, and the leaf is tasty, then I say heck with what it costs. Sned me a PM with what kind of smoke you like (assuming you can PM on this forum) and your address, and I'll gladly shoot you some tasty cheapk cigars guaranteed to change your mind.

webmost

I am paying less than $0.40/cigar for for a long leaf Havana filler/MD 609 binder/CT shade wrapped cigar, hand rolled. This is with purchased filler and binder. The wrapper is home grown. When the Nicaraguan leaf gets here that will go up about a dime. I don't believe you can buy a cheap machine made for that price. When my home grown gets incorporated the cost will be even less. -·- John

John Lee, where you getting your leaf? The only batch I ever rolled, I used leaf from LeafOnly.com. It tasted just awful and cost about a buck a stick.

The FX Smith cigars I mentioned are mild things which I know I like, though they do require some aging. That's where I came up with the idea of growing a decent wrapper and wrapping it round one of them. But I am not inflexible.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i'm good on cigars, thanks for the offer though.
this site is the forum for enthusiasts, but it is under the mother site www.wholeleaftobacco.com where you can get really good whole leaf. leafonly has a bad taste in my mouth, they just come here to spam. i was in ct before this site and tried to buy from them, they never answered their phone. a good thing cause i was going to get a lot and apparently from your report their product is substandard.

if rewrapping is your thing though, try the bezuki offered from wlt, it has never gotten anything but rave reviews.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The FX Smith cigars I mentioned are mild things which I know I like, though they do require some aging. That's where I came up with the idea of growing a decent wrapper and wrapping it round one of them. But I am not inflexible.
What are you paying per cigar for the FX's? John

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Sir- try some Escudo Cubano from Thompson Cigars. They're cheap cigars with a premium taste.
However I still say your best and most cost effective move would be the cigar sampler from www.wholeleaftobacco.com. I get alot of pleasure from rolling my own.

webmost

I just put in an order for Don's sampler from WholeLeafTobacco. I plan to roll a couple new wraps on the three FX Smith machine mades I have left, to experiment; then roll the rest to see how his sampler mix works out. I'll post you some pics here soon.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Look for the video threads started by FmGrowit in Cigar Tobacco. I would post a link but haven't figured out how to do that from a tablet. Coral Reefs has a link to a series of videos in there also. They got me started rolling.

Krausen89

i took an all burley stick i rolled and wrapped a honey bourbon backwoods wrapper around it to age and "infuse" will take the wrapper off when i go to smoke also i put the short filler in the same bag with cigar to get more flavor infused. i was just playing around and had a backwoods that was cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.