Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICH

I'm finally making some cigars with Don's leaf and I'm about to add the wrappers and was wondering if the cigars should be "dry" or should I put them in my humidor for a few days before applying the wrapper ?????

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I roll with filler in Low case, binder in Medium case and wrapper in High case. I just roll straight through till the cigar is finished. Bob and others smoke their cigars immediately after rolling, I let mine rest a day or so in the humidor. Try it both ways and see which works best for you.

workhorse_01

I roll them the same way.
I roll with filler in Low case, binder in Medium case and wrapper in High case. I just roll straight through till the cigar is finished. Bob and others smoke their cigars immediately after rolling, I let mine rest a day or so in the humidor. Try it both ways and see which works best for you.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Some people here let their finished cigars rest for months before smoking them. Giant commercial producers sometimes let them rest for years before making them available on the market.

workhorse_01

Giant commercial producers have too. They don't buy Whole Leaf from here.
Some people here let their finished cigars rest for months before smoking them. Giant commercial producers sometimes let them rest for years before making them available on the market.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Giant commercial producers have too. They don't buy Whole Leaf from here.
Funny, I just had a little go-around with a customer on this subject. He seems to believe all the good tobacco never makes it out of Central America. I tried explaining that not all growers have cigar factories and not all cigar producers have farms. The ironic thing is...the bigger cigar companies do have their own farms and since they're like any other business, they don't throw anything away. This means you get the inferior leaves from their own grow in your cigars. With Whole Leaf Tobacco cigar leaf, you get only premium leaf...unless otherwise noted as in the Aleman Oscuro wrapper/binder.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
With Whole Leaf Tobacco cigar leaf, you get only premium leaf...unless otherwise noted as in the Aleman Oscuro wrapper/binder.

In my opinion, someone was a little overly picky in grading the Aleman Oscuro wrapper/binder. The damage I found was on a part of the leaf that usually gets cut off anyway when making a wrapper. The price on that leaf is a steal. Somebody's loss was our gain though. I highly recommend all you cigar rollers grab some of this leaf while it's available.
http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Aleman-Oscuro-Capa-Banda-Wrapper-Binder-2AlemanOscuro.htm

pakidaho

In my opinion, someone was a little overly picky in grading the Aleman Oscuro wrapper/binder. The damage I found was on a part of the leaf that usually gets cut off anyway when making a wrapper. The price on that leaf is a steal. Somebody's loss was our gain though. I highly recommend all you cigar rollers grab some of this leaf while it's available.
http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Aleman-Oscuro-Capa-Banda-Wrapper-Binder-2AlemanOscuro.htm

I guess my tobacco "hobby" keeps me out of my Wife's hair because She has not even raised her voice when I tell her how much I just spent to buy leaf I plan to burn up. I just made on order this morning.... now finding myself feeling a little self conscious.... little men now sitting on my shoulders...one encouraging the other telling I am going overboard....What the heck, I'll take a few pounds off your hands :)

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
In my opinion, someone was a little overly picky in grading the Aleman Oscuro wrapper/binder.
Well...that overly picky person was yours truly. Actually, There are standards that determine what different grades are and what the leaf can be called. While the Aleman Oscuro has sufficient areas of wrapper grade leaf, the overall condition doesn't make wrapper grade...in my opinion anyway.

I renegotiated the price of the wrapper with the supplier and the ultimate winner is you all :)

MarcL

Most of the time I'll give the bound filler a jump start on drying before wrapping but, whether pressing in a mold or pressing in a strip of news paper. I might be in slightly higher case, maybe because like I say "most" I'll have setting a while before smoking.
But sometimes I'll want something more freshly rolled like, right away. so I'll go with low/mid/high casings so it's dry enough to burn.
there is a science of some sort I'm sure but, just like smoking; a lot can effect the burn characteristics. temp/rain/wind, how you light it ... it can get pretty picky.

RICH

After I rolled them and had them in the mold for a couple hours I just let them sit out on the rolling board.They now seem dry so I think I better get them into a medium case before apply the wrapper. It's still a learning experience for me.

MarcL

Yeah? that sounds about right .. I just leave them dry in the mold .. the wrapper being so moist for pliability, will get wicked away some by the binding .. I find most of my attention going to set up for wrapping as not to allow to much time for wrapper drying while wrapping the cigar. especially in the winter when it's driest.

workhorse_01

I believe no commercial factory can do the job as well as a person sitting at home rolling their own. I dont smoke cigars but i love rolling them for friends and family. It keeps my hands busy and out of trouble. I havent blown anything up since i started rolling. WOW! I'm going outside.
Funny, I just had a little go-around with a customer on this subject. He seems to believe all the good tobacco never makes it out of Central America. I tried explaining that not all growers have cigar factories and not all cigar producers have farms. The ironic thing is...the bigger cigar companies do have their own farms and since they're like any other business, they don't throw anything away. This means you get the inferior leaves from their own grow in your cigars. With Whole Leaf Tobacco cigar leaf, you get only premium leaf...unless otherwise noted as in the Aleman Oscuro wrapper/binder.

BarG

Founding Member
I dont smoke cigars but i love rolling them for friends and family. It keeps my hands busy and out of trouble. I havent blown anything up since i started rolling. WOW! I'm going outside.

Patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something, or, maybe I'll roll a cigar or 2 instead! Either way it will keep me busy.;) I'm finally smoking my Vuelta Abajo and I must say its a nice mild filler to go with the Habano viso. I have been trying to figure a way to use the habano viso without the seco to make them last close to the same. I can use a whole leaf with the milder fillers. Wrapped with an Ecuadoran seco and Pa red binder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.