Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Your thoughts on this combo for first grow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radagast

Hey gang!
Here is what I am finalizing as a selection to try for my first shot at growing something for my pipe in kind of limited space:

-Yellow Orinoco
-Smallstock Black Mammoth or Staghorn
-Yendidje (or maybe Bursa)

Does anybody have any advice or thoughts?
Cheers!

Alpine

I would add a burley in the mix. Never tried yellow Orinoco, but I suspect it is similar in flavor to dark Virginias (Stag horn, in this case). If you’re sticking to only 3 strains, a burley instead of the dark Va will add different flavor profiles to your blends. Or, grow four strains (or five or six, like I do) and enjoy your gardening and subsequent blending even more.

pier

ChinaVoodoo

I haven't grown yellow Orinoco either, but I have looked at it, and would think it more in line with Frog Eye, or Lizard Tail, which are older flue-cured tobaccos that are dissimilar to so-called dark Virginias which are more burley-like. Frog Eye is much like your standard bright Virginias.

I think you have made valid choices. Although the orthodox decision would be to grow one flue-cured, one burley, and one oriental, I prefer dark virginia (Goose Creek Red) over burley, and it grew better for me in Alberta than any burley I have tried. My Goose Creek is something i enjoy on its own, and it fills the niche of increasing the pH of a blend with flue cured tobacco just the same as burley. It is smokeable sooner, requiring less age, and has a slight spiciness.

I havent had much luck with yenidge. It was very unproductive, and fire retardant. Bursa... it grows well, but isn't exactly the flavour profile you're thinking of when you think of Turkish. It is much more bass note, and less tenor. I might reconsider. I haven't grown Prilep, but it is quite popular for other growers in the forum. Moreover, WLT either does or used to sell it. I have some, and I really like it. Maybe consider Prilep.

If you are still unsure about which flue-cured tobacco to grow, and decide against yellow Orinoco, I have a Canadian variety from the 60s called Delhi-34, I could send you if you give me a private message.

Radagast

I would add a burley in the mix. Never tried yellow Orinoco, but I suspect it is similar in flavor to dark Virginias (Stag horn, in this case). If you’re sticking to only 3 strains, a burley instead of the dark Va will add different flavor profiles to your blends. Or, grow four strains (or five or six, like I do) and enjoy your gardening and subsequent blending even more.

pier
Nice
I wondered if a Burley might augment the mix. Thank you!

Radagast

I haven't grown yellow Orinoco either, but I have looked at it, and would think it more in line with Frog Eye, or Lizard Tail, which are older flue-cured tobaccos that are dissimilar to so-called dark Virginias which are more burley-like. Frog Eye is much like your standard bright Virginias.

I think you have made valid choices. Although the orthodox decision would be to grow one flue-cured, one burley, and one oriental, I prefer dark virginia (Goose Creek Red) over burley, and it grew better for me in Alberta than any burley I have tried. My Goose Creek is something i enjoy on its own, and it fills the niche of increasing the pH of a blend with flue cured tobacco just the same as burley. It is smokeable sooner, requiring less age, and has a slight spiciness.

I havent had much luck with yenidge. It was very unproductive, and fire retardant. Bursa... it grows well, but isn't exactly the flavour profile you're thinking of when you think of Turkish. It is much more bass note, and less tenor. I might reconsider. I haven't grown Prilep, but it is quite popular for other growers in the forum. Moreover, WLT either does or used to sell it. I have some, and I really like it. Maybe consider Prilep.

If you are still unsure about which flue-cured tobacco to grow, and decide against yellow Orinoco, I have a Canadian variety from the 60s called Delhi-34, I could send you if you give me a private message.
Thank you!
I think that with the weather being as whacky as it has been lately I would be wise to pay attention to your experience growing in Canada.
The selections I made were loosely based on what I could gather of their versatility and hardiness, balanced against flavour.. and my own very profound lack of experience with any of these plants.
I will (based on your considerate response) absolutely be choosing Goose Creek now, for one thing.

Charly

Keep in mind that every strain can react differently depending on your climate, soil, gardening technique, curing technique...
Some will grow fine, others might not grow well.

Your list can be a good choice to begin, next year you can always try some others and then compare ;)

Good luck with your first crop.

Radagast

Keep in mind that every strain can react differently depending on your climate, soil, gardening technique, curing technique...
Some will grow fine, others might not grow well.

Your list can be a good choice to begin, next year you can always try some others and then compare ;)

Good luck with your first crop.
Thanks! Cheers

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20140730_1388_HarrowVelvet_maturity_400.jpg

Garden20150723_1943_cigar_HarrowVelvet_wrapper_400.jpg

Burley used to be widely used as a cigar wrapper in the US. It makes lovely Cavendish, good Perique, and is relatively mild (for a burley) straight in a pipe. It can be stalk harvested, and cures easily.

Bob

Radagast

Garden20140730_1388_HarrowVelvet_maturity_400.jpg

Garden20150723_1943_cigar_HarrowVelvet_wrapper_400.jpg

Burley used to be widely used as a cigar wrapper in the US. It makes lovely Cavendish, good Perique, and is relatively mild (for a burley) straight in a pipe. It can be stalk harvested, and cures easily.

Bob
Beautiful! So that's three strong votes for a Burley and major support for HV.
Adding Harrow Velvet to the mix.
Revised list:

-Goose Creek Red
-Harrow Velvet
-Prilep or maybe Samsun

Thanks boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.