Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

SmokeStack's Grow Blog 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

I finally started my grow blog! My first year of growing tobacco.

Here is a photo of my patch of 50 Burley TN90...

6-25-2012 TN90.jpg

And a photo of my patch of 50 Yellow Orinoco...

6-25-2012 Yellow Orinoco.jpg

Closeup photos of a typical transplant (Left Burley TN90 and Right Yellow Orinoco)

6-25-2012 TN90 single.jpg6-25-2012 Yellow Orinoco single.jpg

Note: The pictures are deceiving as these seedlings are about 12 inches tall.

The above seedlings were transplanted last week when temperatures reached 95 degrees. (I know - it's a little late in the season for transplanting. Better late than never!)

The TN90 seedlings/transplants have yellowing outer leaves but have a strong inner green stalk. I am not sure if I should remove the yellowing leaves or let them die-off on their own. There was no yellowing of the Yellow Orinoco leaves - they remained a dark green, but you can see that the sun scorched off part of the leaf - I noticed that this is common for the Yellow Orinoco transplants.

I have also planted some Florida Sumatra, Zimmer Spanish, Connecticut Broad Leaf and Yellow Pryor. I'll post those pix soon.

-Smoke

BarG

Founding Member
Lookin good Smokes, Better late than never. Best of luck. Give them a week or 2 of being in the ground watch them shoot up. All of my varietys are the first for me and some widen out before they shoot up.

Grundle

Awesome, another grow log!! Them plants look really good. I hope mine will have similar vigor in another week ^_^

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Indeed, they are looking good SmokeStack, better than mine did at that early! I'll try and make a trip to come take a look at them here in a few weeks if it's cool with you

leverhead

I'll be watching your Yellow Orinoco, I want to grow some next year. I'm wishing now I had your row spacing! Give them a month and you'll be chest deep in tobacco.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
any reason why tou put the weed barrier, in between the plants,????

i cut circles in mine and plaqnted the plants there,

babychickens001.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-04-14

SmokeStack

any reason why tou put the weed barrier, in between the plants,????

i cut circles in mine and plaqnted the plants there,

babychickens001.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-04-14

Chicken, I did not want to cut 300 holes.:cool: Since I was late this year for transplanting, I thought my set-up would be the quickest solution. I was planning on using grass clippings to fill the remaining area between plants. Maybe next year I'll try your method - your patch looks very orderly and pristine! I like the zig-zag layout pattern for the holes - it seems that would save some space.

By the way, how well is your weed barrier holding up? I purchased rolls (3 feet by 100 feet) for $22 per roll - I ordered them online from Home Depot. The description on the website said these rolls have a 20 year guarantee - that is hard to believe since the barrier is thin as paper and tears easily. On Monday we had some very strong winds that ripped-off the barriers from the ground even after I put a million of those staples/stakes.:mad: I bought quite a few of them and I was thinking about returning the ones I haven't used yet. I don't see how the barrier that I bought can last 20 years. I don't see it lasting one year!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Smokestack, I don't know if you are using the same stuff I am but it sounds like it. I've used the stuff for years IMHO it's good for one year. I haven't been able to take it up, till and fertilize and put it back down. I buy mine at Agway. Their price on 3' and 4' varies quite a lot. Looking at $$'s/sq ft the 3' wide stuff is MUCH cheaper. My plot is so small that putting down new each year doesn't hurt much.

John

BarG

Founding Member
Its been 30 years ago but there used to be a landscaping material that was extremely heavy duty for an underlayment in rock gardens. You would roll out around existing plants or cut holes for new ones and cover with a couple of inches of rocks.
It was pretty heavy duty but after a year you can't stop weeds. It was like a woven nylon mesh type to allow air and moisture through, if memory serves correctly.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Yes. I believe I remember stuff called contractors cloth, It was kind of a brick red. I used to use it for covering the gravel in footing drains before earth back fill. I believe my daughter-in-law uses it under the landscaping stone she likes. I'll ask her when I see her again if I remember LOL)

John

SmokeStack

Is this critter anything to worry about? I have noticed that my plants are being chewed by something. But it is not a major problem (at least for now). So I am not very concerned.

On the land that I am growing my tobacco, we (my Dad, two brothers and I) used to grow Scotch Pines and Colorado Blue Spruces as Christmas trees. We had to spray the trees with a mixture of Malathion and Sevin or else the bugs (caterpillars) would eat all the needles off the tree. Malathion can be kind of nasty to work with - recently there has been a lot of concern over the use of Malathion. It's not something that I would want to smoke.:)

BarG

Founding Member
I don't think it will attack your plants above or at ground level. I 'm still trying to figure if those grubs turn into june bugs or locusts the singing kind.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Any recent pictures Smokestack? I'm not sure I'll be able to make it there before the end of the season but we'd still love to see the crop

SmokeStack

I will probably post some pictures in a few days. I have been pressed for time lately so I will take some photos the next time I am out there at the farm.

BTW my TN90 that had the lower leaves that were yellowing - they started to green after we got that rain. I guess they do require water from time to time. Unless they look like they are dying, I will leave the watering up to mother nature.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Yup, just remember we are in a drought right now, so mother nature can't quite satisfy the needs of plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.