Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Smokehouse Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
This new thread is to report experiments, recipes, successes, and failures with the smoke house. As reported in Providing for the Table it is built and the dead gas grill smoke generator was a dismal failure. I just ran the first test with the new barrel generator. I used bits and pieces of advice from all you guys (Thanks !) and got a partial success. Smoke did come out the pipe into the smokehouse but not with the volume I wanted. I am going to move the generator a bit further away and DOWNHILL from its present position. I believe/hope this will improve the draft enough to get the volume of smoke where I want it. Coming downhill gives more smoke rise and doesn't involve much more digging. I may have to enlarge the fresh air inlet but don't want to make any radical change till I get it drawing well. It wasn't all bad as I built a pretty hot fire to burn out the barrel. It was used for brake cleaning solvent and I didn't want any of that fume in the smoke house. Pics of the old and new setup will be in the next post.

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
a thread i can truly understand, and one that may make you hungry at the same time,:cool:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The second smoke test is in progress and is a success. I lengthened the pipe and as suggested got the generator about 8" lower. It made all the difference. I do need to start the fire with the lid open and let it get hot enough that the pipe starts to draw. I have yet to stand inside the house and see if I still get smoke out of the pipe. The damper does not close well enough and may be replaced with a flat stone as needed. Now all I need to do is screw it together for permanency. Thank you all for your help. Pics attached. 1 before, 2 after.

IMG_1585 - Copy.JPGIMG_1592.JPGIMG_1593.JPG The equipment is all set. Now I need to buy the sow belly and start brining.

John

leverhead

That's great! The pigs will be nervous now. When I can get the details straight, my wife has a good smokehouse story.

Steve2md

I can envision a 3 week old brisket with hickory and pecan smoke, then off to the low and slow smoker....

BarG

Founding Member
John, how long do you plan on having to smoke after brineing. [As long as it takes]. I'm asking because I have always smoked more for flavor than preservation.

BarG

Founding Member
I used to cut sections off briskets with little or no fat and hot smoke to make beef jerky, It would only take a few hours depending on amount of heat with smoke. It was realy tasty. You need to keep refridgerated afterwards though.

Steve2md

if you cold smoke the briskets, keep the fat on them. some of the outside may start to get funky towards the end, but that's ok, just cut off the stuff that looks gross. then cook slow and low as normal. basically all you are doing is adding cold smoke to the aging process. TENDER FREAKING MEAT. It's amazing what can be done with the toughest cuts when the right aging and cooking processes are applied :cool:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John, how long do you plan on having to smoke after brineing. [As long as it takes]. I'm asking because I have always smoked more for flavor than preservation.
I don't really know. I am going to fire every day for two weeks but I'll sample every few days. Since I'm trying to preserve It will just be cut and try. I'm using some sodium nitrite + a tiny bit of nitrate in the brine.
This is what is recommended by the manufacturer.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
all meat is tender if "rare" enough ;) i've never gotten sick... yet lol

obviously this only applies to beef, well and fish... just about everything else gets cooked thru
if you cold smoke the briskets, keep the fat on them. some of the outside may start to get funky towards the end, but that's ok, just cut off the stuff that looks gross. then cook slow and low as normal. basically all you are doing is adding cold smoke to the aging process. TENDER FREAKING MEAT. It's amazing what can be done with the toughest cuts when the right aging and cooking processes are applied :cool:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Just running smoking exercises today checking for smoke flow and density inside the house. I am pleased to say there seem to be enough small leaks that I won't have to cut vents. Smoke leaking from small cracks from floor to roof demonstrate the house fills uniformly with smoke. I have some maple brush I need to burn anyway so you might say I'm seasoning the inside. After a 3 hour burn with an outside temp of 76 the inside was 125°F. This is about 50° differential and I think it is fine for the cold smoking. I am adjacent to a state park and a friend laughed and said "I wonder how long it will be before one of them (meaning guests in the park) will report a house on fire."

IMG_1603 - Copy.JPGBrining and dry pack should start Tuesday and a week or so later some serious smoking.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.