Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Container for seed storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I am looking at some plastic jars from US Plastics to store and separate seed after harvest. What size jars will I need for the seed from each variety. The jars range in size from 1/4 oz to 32 oz and price from .23 cents to $2.01. They come with caps.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've used jars and tiny plastic bags for tobacco seed storage. The jars a a bit handier to work with, but a pain in the ass to store if you have very many. Since my personal collection is now around 50 varieties, I've gone to tiny zip closure bags.

All the seed from a single plant can range from 0.25 to 1.0+ ounces by weight. The higher amount will reach a quarter-way up an 8 fl. oz. jar. But then you have to store these jars in a cool, dry place for a long time.

This year, I'm using 2" x 3" zip closure bags from www.uline.com (cheaper than from US Plastics). One generous plant will thoroughly fill two of the bags with well-cleaned seed. These are the same tiny bags I use for mailing out a packet of seed, so I have about 800 of them. Otherwise, I would go for 3" X 5" 4 mil bags for bulk (http://www.uline.com/BL_211/4-Mil-Reclosable-Bags). A group of these are enclosed within a Zip-Lock sandwich bag, then placed into a transparent "waterproof" 4" x 5" x 8" boating box from Walmart's sporting goods department (I think ~ $7), and placed into a dorm-size fridge.

If you want to go with plastic jars, I would recommend the 4oz Clear PET Straight Walled Jar 58/400: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=84993&catid=604
66842psku.jpg

with these 58/400 caps: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=26812&catid=683

If you intend to go to industrial quantities, then just look at the larger sizes of bags or jars.

Mason jelly jars, the tiny ones, will work well, and won't break unless you drop them onto concrete. But then you have to either mess with a two-part lid, or obtain the plastic, one-piece lids (Standard Mason jar lids are identical in size and fit to Hellman's Mayo jar lids). I have used the Ball plastic "freezer" jars, but the lids are not reassuringly secure.

Bob

EDIT: Don't forget to order the sieves using the links in this post: http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?553-How-to-Send-Out-a-Nice-Packet-of-Tobacco-Seed#1. It's nearly impossible to locate them using US Plastics search engine.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I use empty spice bottles for small amounts and peanut butter and jelly jars for larger amounts. (All glass) -- John

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks Bob-- I'm getting together a shopping cart at US Plastics with the 400 and 600 micron sieves (per your earlier post), the 2"x3" zip bags with the white strip to write on (if I can write that small) and these 4oz jars that come with a lid http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=70209&catid=604. I may get a couple 8oz just in case. Thanks for your help.
I hope I won't have 50 varieties, but I keep finding myself getting overly ambitious with about every other aspect of this hobby so who knows? I do want to be able to pay forward some seed or donate some to the seed bank if needed. If so I want to be able to pre-package them for Don in +/-100 seed amounts and save him some trouble.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I use the small bags like Bob uses but then I put them into Mason jars with the metal rings. This helps ensure that they remain moisure resistant to the outside envornment. By the way, the plastic lids do not create a very good seal. I make saurekraut in jars and if I use the plastic lids they end up going bad becasue they do not provide an adequate seal like the metal ones do.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm getting OCD I think. I've never planted the first seed and I'm already buying the stuff to bag the seed heads and package the seed. I just hope I'm not being overly confident. lol I got the lumber ready for my drying rack but I have to clear out a space in the shop before I can build it. I plan on using pocket holes and screws so I can take it back down with numbered boards. I have two years worth of whole leaf so I can naturally age my home grown. I have a shredder on the way. I have drip lines and emitters. Landscape cloth. Float trays and dirt.(thanks BB) I have four pipes on the way. A cigarette injector. My tractor's in the shop for maintenance and I've been tightening all the bolts on my cultivator and rock rake. If this hobby doesn't put me in the poor house I plan to really save some money!!!!! Am I crazy or what? Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh I still need seed.

Rayshields

I'm getting OCD I think. I've never planted the first seed and I'm already buying the stuff to bag the seed heads and package the seed. I just hope I'm not being overly confident. lol I got the lumber ready for my drying rack but I have to clear out a space in the shop before I can build it. I plan on using pocket holes and screws so I can take it back down with numbered boards. I have two years worth of whole leaf so I can naturally age my home grown. I have a shredder on the way. I have drip lines and emitters. Landscape cloth. Float trays and dirt.(thanks BB) I have four pipes on the way. A cigarette injector. My tractor's in the shop for maintenance and I've been tightening all the bolts on my cultivator and rock rake. If this hobby doesn't put me in the poor house I plan to really save some money!!!!! Am I crazy or what? Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh I still need seed.

If you are wondering, I can definitely confirm...you're hooked.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i keep mine in small ziplocked baggies, [ i call them drug baggies ]

and i keep them baggies, in a seperate cedar cigar box. '' my seed box ''

Jack in NB

Founding Member
A friend gave me a couple of bags of empty 35 mm film containers.

These work nicely for me - ! drill a 1/16 hole in the cap to allow breathing. And drill some 1 1/4 holes into a piece of 1 x 6, staple a piece of cardboard to the bottom to keep them from falling clear through, for a convenient storage rack.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Look for a container recycling place near you and see if they have the little jars for seeds . I seen them at a place about 65 miles from me from 0.45 cents to $1with lids .

Status
Not open for further replies.