Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

single leaf cheroot

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Yes I am Bob. No prob whatever getting two robusto wrappers out of each bazooka. The prob we're talking about here is getting a decent cheroot out of a single leaf.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I really don't quite know what we're talking about. I just rolled a 9" x ~36 ring stogie. The wrapper is a single strip of Besuki. No binder. The filler is a whole leaf (stemmed) of Keller, with a thin strip of India Dark Air running the length. It's longer, thinner and smoother than a Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Stogie.

Perhaps you could describe the dimensions and other specifics of a cheroot.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I guess I really don't quite know what we're talking about. I just rolled a 9" x ~36 ring stogie. The wrapper is a single strip of Besuki. No binder. The filler is a whole leaf (stemmed) of Keller, with a thin strip of India Dark Air running the length. It's longer, thinner and smoother than a Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Stogie.

Perhaps you could describe the dimensions and other specifics of a cheroot.

Bob

To me a cheroot is approximate diam. of a cig. or slightly larger and length can vary from 4-6" and using leaf only.
Your previous posts on rolling cigars with scraps and using a stem in the middle was the first I ever tried,
Smokes figured a way to use a single leaf without fully removing the midrib and rolled a cool cheroot.. I had no kilned leaves with rib intact so I varied mine from his and found it easier than using scraps and a fully dried stem.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Perhaps you could describe the dimensions and other specifics of a cheroot.Bob
I think these got started with workers pulling leaf from the barn could roll a quickie from a single whole leaf with a few seconds and a jack knife. Sounds like a harsh smoke to me but I'll bet it was a case of "smoke em if you can make em" I rolled a couple just for laughs from my regular leaf. They are rough looking and I think smoke hotter. I prefer my regular cigars. But then i'm set in my ways. It sure is an easy way to test a different leaf. -·-

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that Wikipedia article would suggest that a Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Stogie in the hands of a Frenchman might be called by the Tamil-derived name, "cheroot."

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

So, I was smoking a cheroot...definitely cheroot...definitely cheroot.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just rolled another cheroot (maybe). It's a single, unstemmed Keller leaf, with the length cut into thirds. It is wrapped within a strip (a half-leaf) of Besuki.

Garden20130218_567_Cheroot_400.jpg

The stem segments make it feel more like a twig between my teeth, than a cigar. But it does burn fairly well. It's an OK little smoke that lasts about 25 minutes. There's not enough going on there to be satisfying, but it's cheap and quick and ugly. Is it a cheroot?

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Is there a special criteria for something to be called a stogie or can we just use that as an all encompassing term? Anything with tobacco on the inside wrapped in tobacco on the outside I just call a seegar, regardless of size.

Or if it smells sweet you could call it a rose.

How do I cheroot,
Let me count the ways. Not Shakespeare, E.B. Browning

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Is there a special criteria for something to be called a stogie or can we just use that as an all encompassing term? Anything with tobacco on the inside wrapped in tobacco on the outside I just call a seegar, regardless of size.

Or if it smells sweet you could call it a rose.

How do I cheroot,
Let me count the ways. Not Shakespeare, E.B. Browning

Marsh Wheeling still makes the original stogies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A stogie is a long, thin cigar, with the connotation of being cheap--not for the "Aficionado" crowd. They taste like home-grown tobacco.

JR Cigars, after a period of several years without Marsh Wheeling cigars, now carries them again.

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemDetail/itemcode=MWDE25/DELUXE.html

MWDE25.jpg

It's a very cheap, shredded filler machine-made stogie, with a tobacco sheet binder, beneath a natural CT leaf wrapper. When I spoke with the manufacturer 10+ years ago, I was told that the filler was PA Red and Little Dutch. I don't know if that is still true. (JR says the current filler is Dominican. I haven't bought any of the latest.) But I LOVE THEM.

I have rolled some myself with long filler of bottom leaf PA Red and Little Dutch, and CT Shade for the "Light" wrapper; light brown CT Broadleaf for the "Dark" wrapper. I find it truly difficult to roll so thin a cigar with long filler, while still getting a good draw.

The Deluxe Stogie (Hmmm...) has a bite-off head--or clip-off, for the dainty smoker. The Deluxe II has a machine made air hole. The Mountaineer is the same as the Deluxe, only shorter. Old Reliable includes KY fire-cured leaf.

I consider them the ideal smoke for a hike, or mowing the lawn. I first smoked them in 1970, way back when they were made in Wheeling, WV. It's just plain old, good tobacco.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.