Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Building a humidor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomriker

I have limited woodworking knowledge but I had a pile of black walnut laying around that was cut down on our farm nearly 50 years ago. So I thought I'd make myself a little cabinet humidor! Here's a few pictures of the project so far
AD38B376-2330-4107-9A85-3BBF32BF2BE8-6111-00000325D0D7B576.jpg

B7E60272-ECF9-4DF4-B4BC-34E325DAB960-6111-00000325D346D095.jpg

It's 36" tall and 24" on each side. The top will be bigger than the cabinet. Think routed edge like a picture frame. With a glass top. Ill put 2 shelves in it made of Spanish cedar. Will also line the entire cabinet with at least 1/4" Spanish cedar to help with the moister. Use weatherstripping of some sort to seal the door. It'll have some sort of a latch to keep it securely closes. Also planning on getting an oasis humidifier to stick in the bottom of it. Ill stain it a natural/clear color to bring out the dark but have the nice black walnut look. Wutcha guys think? Wasn't sure where to post since this isn't a humidor site :) but everyone's gotta have somewhere to store their gars right!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Looking good. Great idea. Keep the pictures coming as you progress. For finish, Minwax makes a wipe on poly that penetrates and looks like an oil finish but protects like a poly. You might try it on some scrap. It looks really nice without having that built up look. Because it penetrates, it will darken the wood some like an oil finish does.

Tomriker

Thanks for the tip knuck, ill have to look for some. This will be a slow project most likely. Can't find Spanish cedar locally yet so it'll cost $$$ to get enough for the inside plus the oasis unit I want will be another 100+. But I'm not really in a hurry. Slow and steady wins the race right?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I know I'm in the minority here when I say this but-Don't put Spanish Cedar in you humidor! You spent (or will spend) a lot of time and effort into producing your own cigars grown from some very unique tobacco. Do you really want them to absorb the cedar flavor? If so, just go out and buy some cigars from the store but if you want them to retain the unique flavor of your home grown cigars put them into something neutral like glass. IMO Spanish Cedar is used to make all the cigars taste the same. It is done for the consumer who expects the exact same taste in a cigar year after year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I know I'm in the minority here when I say this but-Don't put Spanish Cedar in you humidor! You spent (or will spend) a lot of time and effort into producing your own cigars grown from some very unique tobacco. Do you really want them to absorb the cedar flavor? If so, just go out and buy some cigars from the store but if you want them to retain the unique flavor of your home grown cigars put them into something neutral like glass. IMO Spanish Cedar is used to make all the cigars taste the same. It is done for the consumer who expects the exact same taste in a cigar year after year.

Cedar is a natural insect repellent. I may be wrong, but I always assumed that was why it was in humidors.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks for the tip knuck, ill have to look for some. This will be a slow project most likely. Can't find Spanish cedar locally yet so it'll cost $$$ to get enough for the inside plus the oasis unit I want will be another 100+. But I'm not really in a hurry. Slow and steady wins the race right?

Spanish Cedar veneer is at www.woodcraft.com.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I was thinking you would glue the veneer to some inexpensive plywood for the shelves and to the inside of the walnut to save money. You would get the same insect repellent benefits and the smell if you like it but not the expense of using Spanish Cedar boards. I don't know about the humidity retaining aspects of cedar. I would think if the humidor was sealed rather well, the oasis would keep the humidity supplied. Keep in mind the only thing I know about humidors is how to put cigars inside and check my gauge. :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
About 40 years ago, I converted a walnut washstand (about the size of a bathroom sink cabinet) into a cigar humidor. Fearing that the constant humidity might create problems with the walnut, I stapled black plastic sheeting to the interior. This was then overlaid with screwed-on (with brass screws) 1/4" bass wood planks, including the interior of the two doors.

Garden20130226_569_humidorDoor_300.jpg

Door of 40+ year old walnut washstand cigar humidor, with original thermometer/hygrometer.
The black stripe is the decorated edge binder used on boxes of Hoyo de Monterrey, and lays over
the diagonal bass wood brace (also screwed in with brass screws).

Shelves were made of the same bass wood planks. Where the two doors came together, I applied a strip of cork to minimize the leak. Stray pieces of Spanish cedar from various cigar boxes are stored in one corner. On the rare occasions that I need to add humidity, I simply mist the cedar, and leave it at that. I have used no specialty humidifying device. The doors are held closed by magnetic cabinet closures (one plate can be seen on the door).

After all these years, the outer cabinet has shown no warping. The interior maintains a steady 60% RH (on my uncalibrated hygrometer), and cigars keep perfectly. I also use it to store bagged whole leaf. Needless to say, it's overflowing these days, but being full helps to stabilize the humidity. Only in the coldest, driest times of the year does the humidor require any added humidity. I should add that I purchased a 14 oz. bag of commercial black Cavendish pipe tobacco, which is laced with some humectant(s), and leave it open within the humidor. It serves only as an additional moisture buffer.

Is the plastic liner helpful? I have no idea.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Nice humidor Bob. I like the recycled materials aspect also. But if you keep adding varieties to your grow list, you'll be converting a walk - in closet next.

Tomriker

Here's a couple more shots, got the door glued together, notice the grain? It's 2 mirrored pieces and kinda looks like a face. Which is what I was going for! forgot to mention, there were knots right where the it looks like the eyes were, so filled em with wood putty because you could see all the way through and then we wouldn't have much of a seal would we..
840EA126-77F1-48EB-B956-A08DDD5DA574-8989-00000513C5ACB6DB.jpg

second is after the feet have been cut, originally wanted to just make feet and glue them on but decided to go with this route, where they're part of the frame so they're a lot stronger.
5F9703A8-92B6-443B-AEA1-8C24AE3F49FD-8989-00000513C4B217F9.jpg

I'm planning on putting a glass top on it. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I think it will look nice, but my wife thinks it will be stupid lol. (Big surprise)

TR

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I think it would be more versatile with a hardwood top. You could put lots of stuff on top and not worry about the glass.... not that I'm agreeing with your wife....;)

Tomriker

I think it would be more versatile with a hardwood top. You could put lots of stuff on top and not worry about the glass.... not that I'm agreeing with your wife....;)

lol it's alright, this is the look im going for, except it won't have a glass door..
galstop_zpse97a74c7.jpg

if it doesn't work out, i can always pull out the glass and fit a piece of wood in it. im doing 3/8 thickness on the glass so i "think" that will do? but who knows, right? trial and error! i just wasn't about to pay $1000+ for a custom build humidor like i see online so that's the main reason im trying this. annnd im rambling

Ashauler

Founding Member
Just be sure to seal the glass well, and keep the humidor away from direct sunlight and it should be fine. Bob makes great humidors, so your example is worthy.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Looking good Tom. I really like the book matching on the doors. Glass or wood, whatever you decide on the top will be fine and I'm sure you'll make it look as gorgeous as the rest of the cabinet. This is a very interesting build to follow along on. Thanks for posting.

ne3go

It seems to me that you're a very good woodworker!
Looking very nice so far, and i will certainly put a glass on top! I would like to watch my cigars lying in there!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The glass will look lovely. It also may subject the interior more fully to any swings in ambient temperature, since, as you know, wood is a much better insulator.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.