Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nicotiania Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakota

Founding Member
I received an email from Doug over at Nicotiania Project, I had an alternate address that I would not post for obvious reasons. I hope this clears things up. Here is His reply.

[FONT=&quot]Russ - thanks for keeping in touch. Yes, the '-------' email address is my current contact. I've somewhat retired from tobacco cultivation and as such I've not renewed webhosting for my Nicotiana Project website. My seedstock is growing older (and me, too!) and I no longer quite have the time to keep up with grow-outs. It is unfortunate about the GRIN 'shutdown'. This is a result of US Federal funding cutbacks and as such the curator of the GRIN seed accessions does not have staff and other resources to fill seed orders and perform grow-outs. I'm glad that folks around the globe are keeping a nicotiana seedbank alive & well, though! Thanks to ya all. Take care - Doug[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Russ

Boboro

He seam like a nice guy and gust got tired. I dont grow the odd stuff but we do need to save what we can. maybe we could chip in and buy what we dont have.When they gone they gone forever.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
To everyone : ensure you have a personal collection that includes at least a single type of:
Bright leaf
Dark leaf
Burley
Havana
Turkish
Connoisseurs will wax poetic about how each is an individual snowflake, but as was posted earlier these seeds are disappearing as people get out of the biz. Even if you don't use tobacco in a pipe or cigar still ensure you have 1 of each type. That's all that is necessary, sure more may be better but within type the flavors are very close.

TI's are unique though and it's sad to see them disappear.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
I was thinking about this the other day. I am part of a seed bank project with another organization. The person in charge of the seedbank (to my knowledge) does not really have an official "sign up sheet" but does have a general idea of what people are growing and is able to anticipate what needs people can fulfill. Growing out all of these varieties is a big (pretty much impossible) task for just about any one person, but what if we had someone coordinate these growouts. People could volunteer to do a growout- this person or persons would record that commitment plus a backup or two, keep track of stock, prepare "training materials" (Which I do not think would have to be complicated) on how to pollinate, bag flowers, etc... Then go from there. I would suspect that a lot of the logistics could be managed using a pretty basic database program.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I was thinking about this the other day. I am part of a seed bank project with another organization. The person in charge of the seedbank (to my knowledge) does not really have an official "sign up sheet" but does have a general idea of what people are growing and is able to anticipate what needs people can fulfill. Growing out all of these varieties is a big (pretty much impossible) task for just about any one person, but what if we had someone coordinate these growouts. People could volunteer to do a growout- this person or persons would record that commitment plus a backup or two, keep track of stock, prepare "training materials" (Which I do not think would have to be complicated) on how to pollinate, bag flowers, etc... Then go from there. I would suspect that a lot of the logistics could be managed using a pretty basic database program.

Good idea to explore. Any ideas on the database program?

rainmax

Founding Member
I'm inn. If that is possible of course. I can write names on envelopes or something.
All hand made. LOL

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
You know, after I posted that message, I realized that I have no real direct knowledge of how Don is currently managing this. I probably should ask how things are done before offering suggestions... you know, cart before the horse and all that stuff ;)

Lakota

Founding Member
Randy the blue text is how outlook 2010 shows a reply to an email, I did a copy / paste. no hidden meaning or anything sinister as far as I know. Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.