Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Everything you want to know about Flea Beetles...and then some

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
FmGrowit said:
Moved from "New warehouse" discussion. Not necessarily off topic, but due to it's importance, this topic should have it's own thread

Okay, out with the trade secrets, what benefit is the cooler?:cool: Heh Heh

Edit; Thank You Don for starting this thread on special request.

Last edited:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Re: New warehouse

Keeping tobacco under 70°F keeps the flea beetle larvae from maturing.

The environmentally controlled chamber would best be suited for keeping cigar tobaccos in proper case.

BarG

Founding Member

Thats welcome news, the drug store beetle,cigarette beetle are common in Texas,[Ive never put one under a microscope to differintiate]. If I get them in opened bags I have to freeze for a week to kill them the larvae and eggs. Thats one trade secret I won't forget, I have searched for info like that to no avail.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

Thats welcome news, the drug store beetle,cigarette beetle are common in Texas,[Ive never put one under a microscope to differintiate]. If I get them in opened bags I have to freeze for a week to kill them the larvae and eggs. Thats one trade secret I won't forget, I have searched for info like that to no avail.

The grubs still eat a little tobacco, but they don't reproduce. If they reproduce, they eat all your tobacco.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower

As much as I hate using chemicals, There are traps that use a pheromone that attract the beetles then trap them, for crop treatment I use lambda cyhalothrin or alternatively as a deterrent some people use Chrysanthemums (the chemical pyrethrum is present in the flowers which may help repel the insects, might be worth having some in the warehouse...

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

There are traps that use a pheromone that attract the beetles then trap them.

Like these?

Flea Beetles.jpg

That's what you call an infestation. Those are all flea beetles. Luckily, I had this baccy in one of my giant vapor-proof bags (80 lbs.) and the beetles couldn't get out. I put the traps in the bag and sealed it up. Got damn near all of 'em.

BarG

Founding Member

The pherome traps attract the males I have read. And pinpoints areas with infestation. Which leaves the females horny as all get out. They are very common like fruit flys in a lot of the country.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

Keeping tobacco under 70°F keeps the flea beetle larvae from maturing.

Don't quote me on that...

http://www.cigarettebeetle.com/lasioderma.html said:
Within a period of two weeks, the female lays 50-100 eggs. The eggs hatch within 6-19 days, the larvae emerges from the egg. Larvae are creamy colored or grayish white and covered with fine light brown hairs. Larvae complete 4 instars (growth stages). They grow from less than 1 mm up to 4,5 mm. The larvae penetrate by eating into the tobacco. Larvae are the only feeding life stage. The fourth larvae stage changes to the pupae. In the pupae the adult develops and after emerging starts the next life cycle. The complete life cycle (from egg to adult) can be completed within 42 day. This can result in 8 generations per year (in tropical regions) and this results in an immense multiplication of individuals. Adult beetles fly up to 3 km an their main flight activity starts late afternoon across to midnight.

When temperature falls under 16°C (60°F) they reduce their life activity and start to hibernate. The larvae can remain dormant for many months and may over-winter in this stage in cool climates. The product temperature is important for metabolism. This explains why product temperature is important for the parameters of any treatment method.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower

Yeah Don like those traps. I used 1 last year, pinpointed the area and then dowsed the uh..."fricker" with the LC. I had as I counted about 5000 beetles last year. They die off around 5 weeks, but they DO feed when their younger. Adults don't feed apparently :confused:.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I feel like I have a lot input on these due to last years' infestation. For hard infestations Treat all areas of property with lambda cyhalothrin, a common food/garden safe brand (commonly used on tobacco too) is spectracide triazicide. Also can dowse plant with this liquid but takes a day or two to effectively kill off insects/larva (if applied to broken soil) (Don't apply within 4 weeks of harvest). These beetles will flock, nab and nick on you but don't seem to bite, they seem to be attracted to light, and any food/crop of the nightshade family.

Personally, I sprayed the boundaries of my property as well as out buildings, the house and any broken ground that might house larva. Make sure your pets are treated for their normal diseases as these beetles can carry disease.

I lost a good 3 total plants do to their eating habits.

From what I've found, squishing these bugs you get a nice pop, shriek and hiss, and this also attracts more bugs to feed of the dead bugs, and feed off your lovely crop. Good luck with any infestation you have...it can be a pain for that 5 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.