Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

finally got a kiln going

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekylnz

Yesterday I finally sussed out a kiln...Ive decided to just use my existing working deep freeze for now till I hook up with a replacement broken one I've just used my ceramic lizard lamp mounted inside a tin box at the bottom with a bowl of water on it and a fan on the arisen area on side of bottom ..with grill over everything. .and a hotwater thermostat controlling heat temperature 20130524_121036.jpgI will post pics of it soon

AmaxB

Good deal Todd the bulb will be OK, but consider condensation in regard to the fan and maybe a vent. If the tobacco gets to wet you could see mold

jekylnz

Good deal Todd the bulb will be OK, but consider condensation in regard to the fan and maybe a vent. If the tobacco gets to wet you could see mold

Yeah well I still want to use deep freeze so I have cord coming out top..but dont want to wreck the seal (till i get another one)..so I only have some overalls & cardboard around seal and ovaall's ova Baccer so condensation doesn't drip down and to help seal the top but there's a couple of little gaps that will help vent bit bit(hopefully) it's holding temp at about 46-48c??

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it's good to experiment ' small'' but the more plants you grow, the bigger your kiln will need to be,

mine is about 8' x 4'......x 9' tall

i run it with 2 crock pots and a radiator type heater,

jekylnz

have you tried reducing humidity by partially covering the top with lid?? or does it fluctuate? ? that where that glycol does the job..helping to keep a more consistent humidity level

AmaxB

It's working good now ..the temp is staying between 115.6-123.8 at 70-75% RH
Good deal ... Is it set up like your sketch Todd?

I've heard there's something magical that happens around the 4 week mark....but is there a maximum time or to long????
The finished boacco can be like a whole new kind..don't know about Max Time. Am thinking about stretching to six weeks 4 did work pretty good 5 I think would be better.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
My understanding is that curing is a continuing process and kilning just speeds it up a bit. Will longer in the kiln be better? My guess would be "yes" but you get to the point of diminishing returns. How much better? vs. How much longer? and the $$'s spent on longer kilning. I think the "rest period" after may be significant. Something else is going on that I don't understand yet and maybe never will.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...point of diminishing returns...
Although the ideal duration of kilning does seem to be dependent on both the variety of the tobacco, as well as the stalk position (lower seems to require shorter kilning), I usually can't tell the difference between a 4 week run and a 6 week run. While I do believe that "even longer" would bring about further change, it seems too minimal a difference to be worth occupying scarce kiln space for a longer period.

After a 4 week run in the kiln, the greatest noticeable difference seems to be during a subsequent resting period of a week or more.

Bob

jekylnz

Good deal ... Is it set up like your sketch Todd?

The finished boacco can be like a whole new kind..don't know about Max Time. Am thinking about stretching to six weeks 4 did work pretty good 5 I think would be better.
I'll get some pics or vids today..be its basically like my great sketch?

My understanding is that curing is a continuing process and kilning just speeds it up a bit. Will longer in the kiln be better? My guess would be "yes" but you get to the point of diminishing returns. How much better? vs. How much longer? and the $$'s spent on longer kilning. I think the "rest period" after may be significant. Something else is going on that I don't understand yet and maybe never will.
The rest period would be when the resins in the leaf set..would that be right guys???

Status
Not open for further replies.