Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Field inspection day

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

I only squish the ones with horns on the other end. I believe his more civil behavior is the result of his improved socio-economic status, likely because of participation in early childhood education.

Bob
I want to know where you get this from! I could spend the next 5 years trying to think up things like this and come up empty. You just rattle it off on a whim "socio~economic status" that's a mouth full.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I want to know where you get this from! I could spend the next 5 years trying to think up things like this and come up empty. You just rattle it off on a whim "socio~economic status" that's a mouth full.
It's the old story Amax. That's what he does.

skychaser

So..last night we were sitting in the living room just before diner time when Mrs. Sky says "take a look out the window". I look out and see our new friend standing under the Maple tree looking back at me over the 6' yard fence. After a couple minutes he heads across the grass and starts eating our trees along the driveway. Moose can eat a small tree down to nothing in just a few minutes. It's happen a couple times before. So I go out to try to scare him off. Well this boy is apparently a suburban Moose and he isn't at all afraid of people. I wave my arms and holler at him but he pays no attention to me until I started pelting him in the ass with handfuls of driveway gravel. He just walks down to the next tree and starts munching away again. By tree number 5, I'm about 30 feet from him throwing gravel when he finally got a little annoyed. He turned towards me, lets out a big snort and starts coming at me. I made a very hasty retreat while trying not to wet myself. I did get some pretty good picts before he decided to amble off across the filed to eat more thorn trees in peace. We have wire guards around most of the trees to keep the deer from eating them. You can see they do not work to well on 7' tall Moose.

Attachments

• IMG_2786 copy.jpg
    IMG_2786 copy.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2787 copy.jpg
    IMG_2787 copy.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2788 copy.jpg
    IMG_2788 copy.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 34

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
bean-bag shotgun loads to the ass - won't hurt him, but be uncomfortable enough to move on.
may be legal in your area.

skychaser

Nah, a yearling would still be with mom. They will stay together for 2 summers before mom sends them off and she breeds again. I'm guessing he is 3, maybe 4 years old.

We had a Cow who came here every spring for ten years to have her calves. She had quite a story. Her mother was killed by a poacher when she was 2 weeks old about 50 miles north of here. A local vet took her in and raised her until she was a yearling and then released her back where she was found after giving her an ear tag so she could be tracked. She was #22 and he named her Odie. For 3 years she stayed in that area, then one day decided to head south down the Selkirk range and ended up here. There is a nice hallow down on our creek where no one bothers them and there is plenty to eat and places to hide, so she came here to have her calves every year. She would leave in the fall for the foothills and return in April or May. Most years she had twin calves. She got to know us so well she wasn't afraid of us at all. She used to eat my trees too. We had a real love/hate affair with Odie.

The State Dept. of Wildlife decided they should put a radio collar on her for some reason, so they darted her. The over estimated the tranquilizer dose and killed her. Odie did just fine until they got involved. Dunno where she was when it happened but it wasn't here. I was kinda broken up when I heard about. I still miss the old girl. I will NEVER let those stupid bastards on my property. They will have to shoot me first.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Our Dept. of Wildlife had the great idea of reintroducing coyotes into the area. Now you rarely see a quail or rabbit, and the farmers are desperate for someone to kill them out again. We had some of the best crappie fishing in the country until the nuts introduced those huge stripers and just about ruined the fishing. I think they tend to tinker a little too much.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Our Dept. of Wildlife had the great idea of reintroducing coyotes into the area. Now you rarely see a quail or rabbit, and the farmers are desperate for someone to kill them out again. We had some of the best crappie fishing in the country until the nuts introduced those huge stripers and just about ruined the fishing. I think they tend to tinker a little too much.
Yep, In Vermont and north eastern New York State there used to be great rainbow trout fishing. Then in it's infinite wisdom fish and game introduced brown trout because they were "heartier". Now there is no more rainbow fishing at all.

workhorse_01

The army corps of engineers straightened out the main canal running in to lake Okeechobee, and 3yrs later had to put the crooks back in to it. It had lost It's natural filter and the fish were dying.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
A local veggie farmer installed a propane fueled motion-activated cannon to try to scare the deer off his veg patch. Sounds like a shotgun, firing at irregular intervals.

He came to the field one day to find three deer looking at the installation.

It clearly didn't help much!

Status
Not open for further replies.