Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Regulating RH while crock pot is off

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

I'm thinking, when the crock pot is on, one would regulate the RH by adjusting the exhaust opening, to get the desired RH while at the desired temp. But what happens when the crock pot shuts off once the desired temp is reached. The exhaust opening will still be open to the same proportion as it was when the crock pot was on.
What I'm getting at is, I'm assuming that one would need to adjust the exhaust opening accordingly when the crock pot isn't producing heat/steam.
Am I wrong in assuming this? How are you guys dealing with it?

marksctm

You can regulate the RH with 1 inch pvc pipe and ball valve.
Once you get it dialed in to what you want your RH to be set at while crock is on and at set temp, RH will drop some when crock is off, but should rise back to where it was set at when crock comes back on, not having to adjust the ball valve once set.
(With mine anyway.)

set up 6.jpg

springheal

Remember that the crock pot puts off a gentle heat and the water never actually boils like an electric kettle. Therefore, the rh will not fluctuate a great deal when the thermostat cuts in and out.
The crock pot will always put out heat/steam even when off for half the time and the rh difference should not be huge depending how well the kiln is sealed.

Boboro

Dont over think it. If you get it close the kiln will work alright. Hell I didnt screw it up to bad.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Like air curing, it's the average humidity that's important. There is a pretty wide safe zone anyway.

FALaholic

Remember that the crock pot puts off a gentle heat and the water never actually boils like an electric kettle. Therefore, the rh will not fluctuate a great deal when the thermostat cuts in and out.
The crock pot will always put out heat/steam even when off for half the time and the rh difference should not be huge depending how well the kiln is sealed.

Thats a good explination. Many thanks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2 quart Crockpot in my baby kiln (an old wooden toolbox, turned up on end). That Crockpot has been running without interruption for over 3 years (using the same $13 water heater thermostat). I keep its lid in place all the time. Every 4 days, I add 1-1/2 cups of water to the Crockpot, which runs dry by that time. That kiln has no vents, no fan, and closes with a weather seal. The internal thermometer/hygrometer died after 1 year. I removed it, and never replaced it. The kiln just does its thing.

When using my Cozy Can as a kiln (which is most of the year), its 2 quart Crockpot is kept with the lid on, and I add 2 cups of water to it every 3 days or so, by which time it has also run dry. Its closure is not as good a seal as the baby kiln. Since it stays set on Low, pouring in the water is not too great a shock for the crockery. I glance at the grill thermometer every now and then, just to make sure that it's running.

Once you get a bead on a rough temperature (120-130ºF) and a humidity that brings the leaf to medium or high case without causing significant condensation, there's just nothing to fuss over. It just cruises along.

I keep a small calendar on the wall, and mark it for when I've added water to each of the two kilns. If I forget, and add water a day or two late, it's not a problem. This is a truly low-tech process.

Bob

FALaholic

I keep a small calendar on the wall, and mark it for when I've added water to each of the two kilns. If I forget, and add water a day or two late, it's not a problem. This is a truly low-tech process.

Bob

And that is what I'm shooting for. Cost>Tech>Labor

Status
Not open for further replies.